Fix my Okuma Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix my Okuma Rod

I have an Okuma Blue Diamond graphite 6'6" boat rod with a cracked ceramic ring in the third (from tip) guide. See three attached pics.

Still deciding on whether to order the guide and fix it myself or take it to a local rod repair shop. Can anyone recommend a local shop?

If I fix it myself, I may replace the whole guide or just pop out the ring.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
    I have an Okuma Blue Diamond graphite 6'6" boat rod with a cracked ceramic ring in the third (from tip) guide. See three attached pics.

Still deciding on whether to order the guide and fix it myself or take it to a local rod repair shop. Can anyone recommend a local shop?

Do it your self. It will be fun. Read up some instructions about how to wind on a guide, Mudhole.com. After you cut off the guide, the size of the guide should be stamped into the foot of the guide. Its a learning experience. A repair is a good way to get started.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post

If you decide to take it to a shop I'd recommend the rod and reel in Arlington. I'm not sure how hard it is to match guides as i have never built a rod but it looks like a Fiji guide. He is reasonable and will tell you how much it will cost. There are guys on the board that build their own so they may be able to help too. Good luck!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

After adding the cost of the guide, epoxy, thread, not to mention my time to figure it out and do it, I just might take it to the shop.

On the other hand, since I'm not fishing until many more weeks, I do have some spare time.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

that looks like Pac Bay aluminum oxide guide (BTAG)$15-$20 fix.
          08' Hobie Revolution - Ivory Dune

Comment

Working...
          X