Tarpon 120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarpon 120

I am now the proud owner of a new Tarpon 120. I did quite a bit of research and online pricing. I found this new yak at a better price than the used ones/demos available. So, now I have two yaks in the shed - and one must go - the Nucanoe Frontier 12 is available for sale.

I am looking forward to using the Tarpon. However, not badly enough to go out in the weather tomorrow. Next purchase will be protective dry clothing for the cooler months that we are now in.
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Congratulations Laura, I loved my tarpon. The rail systems are great and it tracks very well. I just use a paddling jacket in the colder months and layer underneath as needed. I like to use wader pants with the neoprene booties instead of chest waders. It's easier to use the bathroom, for guys anyway
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Congratulations on your new kayak.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats, that's a nice yak.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Laura,

Good for you!
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
            Congratulations Laura, I loved my tarpon. The rail systems are great and it tracks very well. I just use a paddling jacket in the colder months and layer underneath as needed. I like to use wader pants with the neoprene booties instead of chest waders. It's easier to use the bathroom, for guys anyway
            Plus 1 on the clothes- the Tarpon 120 is the SUV of sit on top paddle yaks- like the Outback is with Hobies...great choice- I think you will find it is a huge upgrade and requires a lot less effort that the NuCanoe...I would say if you can afford it (personal choice here) a lightweight, high quality paddle will make all the difference in the world...carbon paddles are expensive, but boy, oh boy, what a difference at the end of a long day on the water...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I had the chance to fish the past two days with a Werner Cyprus carbon paddle. I could not believe how light it was. (according to their website - 23 oz). I did not like the blade size (I want more surface area), but I really enjoyed the light weight. I fished 8 hours on Fri and another 6 hours today and was not completely worn out either day. One of the guys fishing with us had a Werner Ikelos carbon paddle -- he let me try it for a few minutes. I loved the larger blade size. It was really light too (est. 24 oz). Using those paddles has helped me narrow down my choices for the Christmas wish list.

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              .I would say if you can afford it (personal choice here) a lightweight, high quality paddle will make all the difference in the world...carbon paddles are expensive, but boy, oh boy, what a difference at the end of a long day on the water...
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I bought a lightweight carbon paddle. I also bought a cart with large plastic wheels. I tried out the cart on the yak before I decided which one I liked.

I was immediately pleased at the lighter weight of the Tarpon 120. I had also considered the Jackson Cuda 12, but it felt almost as heavy as the Frontier 12.

If I had known the weather was going to hold out as it did today without rain , I would have gone out. It appears that I will still have some "free time" since it appears there was no progress made in reopening the gov't.
                Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Congrats on your new Tarpon 120.

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

Working...
                  X