Simple question...or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question...or not

I am sure that this is a pretty basic question but seeing as how I am new to kayak fishing on the bay/severn river I might as well ask. First I will say that I only have a 10ft kayak, it is very stable and I have been out a bunch of times with no issues. I check the tides and wind every time I venture out and I mostly fish alone. I also realize that it can be deceiving paddling out to the bay from protected creeks that are so calm looking. In every ones experience(I know this differs from kayak to kayak) but when would you say that it is to risky based on wind MPH to go out in the bay and what wind speeds should I generally look for to ensure I don't run into any problem?.

There are kind of a lot more variables than wind speed. You also need to factor in the direction that the tide is moving and the direction of the wind. As little as a 10 mph NW wind on a tide thats coming in can make it pretty sporty out there on the open bay. I've been out in some pretty insane stuff in my Outback, but I'd much prefer fishing in winds less than 10 mph. I will fish up to 15-20, but its usually tough. Generally if the direction of the current is opposite the wind, it doesnt take much to chop it up pretty good.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Like Shady said it depends on some other factors, but typically anything in the 15-20 range means no fishing for me unless I can find a protected area. If I'm planning open water like the bay bridge, then 10-15+ and the direction in relation to the current will make the call for me. Plus, the wind forecasts are usually for land and they are almost always wrong in my experience.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Good to know guys. Thanks for the info

Comment

The other guys have provided you with good information. Another thing to consider
          is what you are doing... reaching back to get equipment, untangling lines, and or if you are anchored.
          Everything changes when the weather becomes challenging.

I use a 10'ft Perception Pescadora... I didn't buy it to go fishing as a mainstay.. but that's what I use
          it for now. So I am limited on topside space and speed.

I try to plan my trips to be favorable for wind and tide coming back.

Being in choppy, boat wave, conditions is just something you will have to learn your comfort zone.
          One thing I haven't purchased yet, but will soon, is a hand held bilge pump. One of the other guys, Metroman or Moc...
          I forget has one that is cheap and works well. It doesn't take much of a choppy condition to get water in the cockpit.
          The other guys with bigger boats, bigger cockpits, and raised seats may be able to pull a scupper plug to drain...

Well anyway.. I am pushing a 10'ft kayak around, been lots of places... longest paddle is 12 miles.
          But it is a long haul against the wind, against the tide, and towing a stringer of fish behind the boat.

Comment

If there are white caps out there, I'm staying in.....or at least stay away from the white caps.
            Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
            WS Ride 115 Mango
            WS Tarpon 100

Comment

A few other things to consider are:

1) Water temp -- if you capsize in 75 deg water, you can deal with it for a long time, but not so in 50 deg water.
              2) Wind speed should be considered in two ways -- steady average speed, and frequency and magnitude of wind gusts. You may be fine in steady 10 mph winds, but if you get an 18 mph gust when you are not expecting it, you could have trouble.
              3) What is the likelihood of boat wakes (either direct or reflected wakes bouncing off of hard seawalls or bulkheads)?
              4) Do you have the kayak rigged so that you rarely or frequently need to reach behind you to get out gear?
              5) How confident are you in your ability to stay upright under rough conditions?

I use the windfinder.com site to get wind predictions. They offer one model under the tab Forecast, and a second model under the tab Super Forecast. Some times the two models disagree on wind predictions. You seem to fish primarily in the Annapolis area. That gives you many options for fishing in open water or in sheltered creeks and coves. You can plan you trips based on the wind predictions and your personal risk tolerance threshold.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That was a good question and those were awesome answers. This forum and it's members are great!
                ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Thanks for all the info to everyone who replied

Comment

as much as anything, increasing amts of wind makes the fishing less effective and more frustrating for me. I'm not into blaming environmental factors since I choose to fish where/when I want. so I avoid bad conditions the best I can.

I like to use old fishweather.com wind forecasts and avoid trips to open waters like BB in wind over 10, which is actually likely to be wind over 15 for at least short periods. in general I try to avoid fishing most anywhere in winds over 15. also suggest that you try to have some sort of backup plan in case conditions aren't as nice as you thought they'd be.

might also consider an early start - it's often possible to get a few hours fishing before wind comes up. for me, my favorite and most memorable trips are the short successful ones anyway.
                    Last edited by Southerly; 10-19-2013, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Don't forget to factor in boat traffic- the Happy Hour powerboat group that isn't always a courteous group kicking up wakes that can catch you in crossfire ><
                      IMO the Severn near Jonas Green gets treacherous at certain times of the day- more so when they're rushing to get back to the dock.
                      on calm days when I've forgotten my depthfinder I've used the wake to find channel edges and holes

Comment

Working...
                      X