Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, new Torque

Hello all.
    As in the thread title, I'm a new member to Snaggedline.

Five years ago, I threw my hat into the kayak fishing ring with the poorly-researched purchase of an Ocean Kayak Frenzy. Great boat, but not quite right for fishing. No hatch, no tankwell, no rod holders. I rigged a crate with rod holders to balance precariously in the wash trough on the back of the Frenzy and donned a fishing vest to hold most of my tackle. It was awkward, uncomfortable, and wet. With very little real estate and a desire to be able to occasionally stand, I went looking for a Trident 13.

Being such a popular boat its hard to find a Trident 13 at a good price. So I found the best deal I could online and took it to my local kayak dealer Beacon Surplus, since they always seem to have the lowest price anyway. Alas, this late in the season, Chris was completely sold out of the Trident. He had a Prowler but the foot well is the rigged kind of like the Frenzy which makes it all but impossible to stand.

And then I saw it. A bright yellow Ocean Kayak Torque Classic. It was beautiful. I had read about these... paddled one too... they say that the hull design is based on the Trident. So that got me thinking. I had pretty much decided on getting the Trident and adding the $225 rudder which would put my prospective Trident at about $1000. For just $250 more I could get this Torque which not only already has the rudder, but it also has a 35lb thrust saltwater trolling motor.

So I restrained myself and put the wallet away. For 2 weeks, I kept reading reviews and forum articles about the Trident and the Torque... digging for reasons that would convince me NOT to buy the Torque.
    It didn't work. Last Saturday I returned to Beacon... made a deal... and walked out with my new Torque. woo-Hoo!

I hope to take it out for its maiden voyage this weekend and at least paddle around some. Haven't bought a battery yet. I'm limited to a Group 24 battery based upon the 9.5" high x 7.5" wide x 12" long dimensions of the battery box. Currently I'm considering the Vmax MB107 AGM Battery (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480C3T4). I've seen some AGM deep cycle batteries for less ($175 - $180), but once you add in shipping the total cost ends up about the same.

Does anyone have any tips on where to get the best deal on a suitable battery?
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Congrats and welcome! I've had my torque for about 3 years now, and love it.

When I was using a traditional battery, I got a suitable battery from "Stevens Battery Warehouse" in annapolis.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Thanks MetroMan. I've read all about you and your custom battery Very impressive.

...and thanks for the tip on Stevens Battery Warehouse.

Comment

Welcome to SL and the E-yak club!
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Welcome to snaggedline. I am a torque owner as well and I love it. Had a trident 13 before but the motor is great. Hope to meet you and fish with you soon.

Comment

Welcome to Snagedline, buzz.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

However, I just don't know if the Torque helped Metro catch fish. Rumor around here, has it that it was MYT that finally taught Metro enough to enable him to finally catch some fish. Mind you, not being one to start trouble, this is just a rumor.

Comment

Welcome and congrats. Looks like a fleet of torque are gathering.

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish View Post
                  welcome to the forum.

However, i just don't know if the torque helped metro catch fish. Rumor around here, has it that it was myt that finally taught metro enough to enable him to finally catch some fish. Mind you, not being one to start trouble, this is just a rumor.
                  lol!!!
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish View Post
                    welcome to the forum.

However, i just don't know if the torque helped metro catch fish. Rumor around here, has it that it was myt that finally taught metro enough to enable him to finally catch some fish. Mind you, not being one to start trouble, this is just a rumor.
                    lol!
                    Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Thanks everyone. Can't wait to get her wet.
                      And it should be fun to outfit as well. Being the Torque Classic, it comes bare bones.

Comment

Working...
                      X