No announcement yet.

Occoquan River Kayak Launch Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shad fishing at chain bridge can be phenomenal. I don't even mess with the crowds on the VA side. I make the hike from the parking lot on the MD side of the bridge and hug the bridge pylons until i hit the water. Its a little hike but its worth it.

Yeah the entrance in and out of Fletcher's is sketchy. Add that to the weekday reversal of traffic direction on the parkway makes for some interesting planning. Its just to tempting not to try launching out of there. It is the best section of river during the spring runs.

I guess you could cart the Kayak from the upper parking lot at Fletcher's thru the tunnel and around to the water. Might not be too bad if i keep the gear minimal. I need a scupper cart to get the dolly more towards the center of the Kayak. My current cart attached to the rear and makes it feel allot heaver when pulling it around.

I'm not sure if there are any launching options at Key bridge. You could launch at roosevelt island but that would be quite a paddle upstream 3 miles to the Fletcher's section of river. At Least it would be an easy trip back

Maybe i will steal TJ's cart idea

I used to fish the rapp in fredericksburg all the time. It was a great summer spot to wade, cool off and fish. lots of Red Eyes and small mouths.

Comment

How low is the bridge going under the C&O canal at Fletchers? Is height the issue? I have not been to that park in over 8 years, and I only went once as a tourist to stare at the waterfalls.. But I will soon be able to carry my yak on my car, which is much lower then the truck.

My grandfather and I usually drive the hour south to Fredericksburg and fish near the route one bridge for Hickory shad starting in March. It has been getting a lot more crowded in the last few years though and I would love to get into them closer to home, from the kayak. Thanks for the info on the River Depth and timing of the shad run on the Occoquan Bill!

Feel free to steal the PVC cart, I stole it from a number of other designs.

Comment

I'm not sure. It looks less than 7 ft at the center. its a tight squeeze if i remember correctly. I might try a scope it out on Sunday. I will bring a tape measure with me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chip_py/2236881219/

Comment

Yikes! I don't think I could walk under that without ducking.

You're right about the Rapp, TJ. Last year was the most crowded I've ever seen it. However, there are advantages to that, too. On a nice day, all the college babes are out sunning on the rocks.

I didn't realize the run started in March. I usually watch the Falmouth Flats Fly Fishers' forum until there are a few good reports.

Anyway, the crowds are what got me thinking about launching the yak at City Dock. There's another spot closer to one of the old dams, but you'd have to park in a neighborhood. I couldn't figure out if I'd get towed or not.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

My grandpa always told me that the shad can generally be expected when "The Dogwoods bloom", we used to sneak down early and catch a few stragglers in March, but the last few years we have not even bothered trying because of super high flow rates reported on the Friends of the Rappahannock page. We always parked and shore fished from River drive, theres a small park and a section of street parking. City Docks looks like a good area to launch from, past alot of the current and I have never fished down that far on the river.

Occoquan Regional park is opened from 8am to 6pmish now (dark) and the launch fee is $5 for kayaks I was told today. Debating on saturday or sunday or monday even, to avoid traffic.. Couple of guys from work even going out after the perch there this weekend..

Comment

Well got an email back for Fletcher's and it is 7 ft at the center of the tunnel.

Guess i will try to cart the Yak down from the upper parking lot when i go there later in the spring.

Back to the Occoquan trip today. Well that was canceled until tomorrow.

I got the Yak ready to load and found my rudder was sized up. I could not lower it at all. I had issues with this late last year and held off fixing it. I took the whole thing apart. Lubed it up and ran new lines. All looks good now and its working properly again.

The Duct Seal on the transducer is still holding strong after sitting upside down outside for weeks. That stuff works great.

Since I'm not fishing today i think i will grab a six pack and sit down and go thru all my tackle and set it up for the coming season. That way i don't buy a bag of stuff i don't need. Who am i kidding i do this every year and still buy a load of unneeded tackle.

Comment

I held off as well, too windy today ! I also needed to get my transducer mounted properly so I hit Home depot and Dick's this afternoon for tomorrow's supplies. That duct sealant seems great, and was a quick install. :P Grabbed some silver buddies and 3" curly tails and gulp minnows, I am gonna try my best at catching some of those yellow perch.

Comment

Yeah that wind kicked up while i was cussing and tearing apart my rudder. I think it was a good plan to reschedule. I made a couple rigs to test out tomorrow. Hopefully they will tease up some neds.

I plan on trying these in some deeper holes buy the rail bridge. I should only need 1/2 oz sinkers if I'm not drifting too fast. I also bought a small 1 oz jigging spoon to try.

I'm gonna get there around 8:30 to 9:00 tomorrow. I plan on having perch for dinner.

Comment

I couldn't get the skunk off! I saw two yellows come onto boats, but didnt get any nibbles. I got out there kind of early around 3:30 after getting tired of the wind and getting hungry. I am going to try again during the week now that I have a better idea of where the holes and channels are. Nice running into ya Mike! I also ran into Art77 from Tidal fish on my way back in.

I only tried my 1/4oz chartreuse Bladebait and the Gulp Minnow/Yellow Curly tail double dropper rig. I tried from the first marker past the route one bridge, back to the bridge, and up against the pilings in 14-32 feet of water. Also tried the 95 Pilings for awhile, and a few 19-23 foot spots along the wall. Need a tide chart for that area I think!

I had rudder issues. The rudder would be working, then all of a sudden the boat would veer to the left and not respond. Something would get tight again after I worked the rudder control left and right a few times, and it would begin to work again. Have to check it out on one of the warmer days this week. On a final note, I stopped by Burke on the way back home. The put in at the DGIF ramp is frozen all the way out to the Dam. Noted though, that I can walk my kayak down the footpath and put in on a sandy area that is not iced over near the dam. I may do that after the short warm up this week, maybe some hungry musky on the prowl..

Comment

It was good seeing you out there today. It was slow the whole day. I kept getting marks all over my FF in the area before the I95 bridge. Maybe my FF is seeing things.

I hear you about the rudder issue. I spent a good 3 hrs yesterday resolving my rudder problems. I hope its a easy fix for you. Sounds like something is binding up in the cables.

I packed it up around 2:30 and almost fell over landing the Yak. I could not feel my feet.

Two little bass chased the skunk away today. I should have fished the docks earlier but i was determined to pull a perch out of that river.

Comment

Fish like wood in cold weather. Its an old bassmaster thing. Fallen trees in deeper water, sea walls of wood near docks and docks themselves.

Comment

Working...
                        X