Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHBA Fisherman's Flea Market

Anyone been to this in the past?

"You don't want to miss this event!! With the huge selection of fishing-related items and the LOW prices, you can begin preparing for the 2011 season before your first outing.

Date: Saturday, February 13, 2010
    Time: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
    Place: Sterling Ruritan Club, 183 Ruritan Road, Sterling, Va. (Just East of Route 28, off Church Road)

Food concession open on site for breakfast and lunch!
    Local guides available to discuss fishing Lake Anna, Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay.

Admission is just $3.00, and kids under 10 get in free!"
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Correction: Should be 12 Feb 2011, Saturday. Time: 800 am -1200 pm

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up. I will try to make this. Just curious, how long has this market been going on?
      Jay

10' Green Slayer
      13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I read a comment from some web site that it's the 2nd annual event. Have no idea how it'll be.

Comment

So did anybody make it out there? I unfortunately missed it, but was wondering how was it? Any good finds? What kind of stuff? Fresh/Salt?
          Jay

10' Green Slayer
          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

It didn't have as many booths as the Tri-State FF market. Only a few charter boat booths. Mostly fisherman trying to sell stuff. Lots of lures, used rods and reels, etc. Not much boat rods/reels and parachutes. Fair crowd. Pretty good deals. I picked up a $110 Castaway casting rod for $40 and a $90 Shimano Symmetre for $30. Both used but in excellent shape.

I like these small FF markets. You get to spend some time talking with the sellers. At one booth there was a pic of an angler holding up a large snakehead fish caught in the Potomac, so I talked to the seller at length about how and where to catch them. I didn't know this, but many people take snakeheads home because they're pretty good table fare. I also talked to this Captain who charters trips south of the Wilson bridge. He showed me pics of huge catfish (50-60#) caught by customers.
            Last edited by tufnik; 02-12-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

i heard that snakeheads were pretty good eating cant wait to hook one. talked to a guy from indianhead charters he said that they were becoming a top game fish in the potomac.

Comment

Maybe the commercial guys can find a market for the snakeheads and leave the rockfish alone.

Comment

i wish they would find a market for cownose rays and leave the rock alone

Comment

I think there's a snakehead hunt scheduled for one of the M&Gs. I'm looking forward to this. I'd like to try snakehead baked or fried.

Comment

i think that ones in july

Comment

The tidal pool next to Regan national airport holds quite a few snakeheads in the summer. I did not get a chance to fish their last year but i will this summer. I think a top water frog sliding across the Lilly pads there should be enough to get in trouble.

They are still listed as kill on sight so if you do catch one kill it and cook it. They are said to be very good to eat.

Oh and throwing it on the bank in some bushes is not killing it. Those things can live days out of the water and will find their way back into the water.

Comment

Is that tidal basin north (a few hundred yards) of the runway at Reagan? I think it's a waterfowl sanctuary.

I think you might mean the tidal basin where the cherry blossom trees, Jefferson Memorial, etc. are. Right?

There's also a marina northeast of the Pentagon. Maybe this might be a good fishing area.

Comment

Working...
                          X