Adventure Fishing World Championship video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventure Fishing World Championship video

I don't remember seeing anything about this event on snaggedline this year. This was a new format tournament event held on March 2, 2013 in the Everglades. Two-man kayak fishing teams had to visit 5 different checkpoints spaced far apart and were awarded points for the trout, redfish, and snook they caught.

From the website:

WHAT IS THE AFWC?

The AFWC (Adventure Fishing World Championship) is a new format of kayak fishing that combines: fishing, strategy, navigation and paddling resulting in a true Everglades Adventure! Teams of two anglers compete to reach and catch fish at 5 to 7 eligible checkpoints, in any order,and return to the start/finish before checking at 5PM with the largest total fish length. This is a catch-photo-release redfish, snook, and trout tournament. Checkpoint locations are secret until start-time and there is no suggested route. Routes will vary between 15-20 miles, and should take 6-9 hours to complete. PLEASE DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE EXTREME DIFFICULTY OF THIS EVENT.

The Adventure Fishing World Championship will be held deep in the waters of the Everglades National Park-the largest designated sub-tropical wilderness reserve on the North American continent. With the Everglases exceptional variety water habitats and being at the juncture of temperate and sub-tropical America, fresh and brackish water, shallow bays and deeper coastal waters creates a complex of habitats supporting a high diversity of flora and fauna.

There will be NO water or food support on course. Once you leave the start/finish you are on your own. There will be no drops, or other outside support available or permitted. Be prepared for any circumstances you may encounter including, but not limited to: medical emergencies, navigational errors, inoperable equipment, wild animals, and weather. All teams will be required to carry specific safety equipment. Check rules for more details.

A 29 minute video showing highlights of the competition was released recently. You can view it at http://adventurefishingworldchampionship.com/. Maybe next year one or more teams from our area can get involved. The date for the 2014 event is Feb 22, 2014.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Looks like a pretty cool event John. I'd love to fish the Everglades at some point and it might make some people mark their calendars for it this upcoming year.
    Shane
    Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
    X