Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kayak Launch sites on the east side of Bay Bridge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Launch sites on the east side of Bay Bridge.

Does anyone know of a good spot to launch a kayak from the east side of Chesapeake Bay Bridge? SPSP maybe too crowded? Thank you in advance for any information and advice.

For the time being I doubt that the ramps at SPSP will be crowded. After all, it is late October. I heard elsewhere that the park is setting up their big Christmas lights display... which will be a really big deal thru New Years. Dunno how that will affect getting to the ramp once the park starts charging to drive thru the light display.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I agree that the ramps at SPSP and elsewhere are not likely to be crowded this time of year.

Immediately east of the Bay Bridge is Kent Island/Queen Annes County and there are many spots to launch there:

http://www.shoreupdate.com/2012/06/b...blic-landings/

A permit is required.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

You might be able to launch at the small beach near Hemingways. I'm not sure who owns the property but I've seen kayakers put in there before.

Comment

Originally posted by ES Fisherman View Post
          You might be able to launch at the small beach near Hemingways. I'm not sure who owns the property but I've seen kayakers put in there before.
          There was a lot of talk on this site about the Hemmingways kayak launch spot. I do believe launching there is now prohibited.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
            There was a lot of talk on this site about the Hemmingways kayak launch spot. I do believe launching there is now prohibited.
            Man that sucks I live 10 minutes away from there and was planning on fishing the bridge this winter. I might just take my chances launching there early, I could be in and out before noon.

Comment

Originally posted by ES Fisherman View Post
              Man that sucks I live 10 minutes away from there and was planning on fishing the bridge this winter. I might just take my chances launching there early, I could be in and out before noon.
              What about the Chesapeake Bay Beach Club? Looking at Google Earth, there appears to be paved access to the beach between the club house and the airport.
              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

terrapin beach is a good option.
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                  terrapin beach is a good option.
                  Thanks for the suggestion Pinch. Have you or anyone you know has used Terrapin beach? Is there parking available?

Comment

nice parking lot, lots of room. If you are going to be out past sunset park across the street from the park. Its no that long of a walk but a quality cart will help.
                    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

+1 on Terrapin Beach. A bit of a hike, but most of it is paved.

You won't find more than a few cars in the SPSP parking lots this time of year. And even during the summer, it's not bad if you get there before the picnic crowds. There are so many ramps there that even at peak times, I have never had to wait for a ramp (I have had to look for parking though).
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                      X