No announcement yet.

Marine VHF radio suggestions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next level up from the 300 include other features like GPS location. I can't see the need for that, since I already have FF/GPS on my kayaks.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Some of the spots I fish dump right out into the ocean and thought about spending for locator beacon, but I decided the hx300 will be good enough and have that one on the way now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        I have a couple Standard Horizon radios; mine is an HX-280 (no longer available), and the one I just bought for my daughter is an HX-300. If I was going to recommend a radio it would be the 300; it floats AND has a long lasting battery. Also, the 300 can be charged with a regular USB cable.
        Not only that, the 1560mAh Li on battery lasts about 12 hours(so it's said) AND the direct replacement interchagable battery is only $32ish bux on amazon...well worth keeping one in your chest pocket in the PFD
        Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
        2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
        2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
        2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

You can get a VHF radio loaded with safety and navigational features. I have one of those -- a Standard Horizon high end radio. If you’re prudent on the water you likely won’t need those features.

All the things frequently discussed on this forum about caution in high seas and high boat traffic areas and knowing your area intimately are not negated because you have a beacon and an automatic distress signal on your radio. Your decision making contributes more to your safety than your radio.

However it pays to know to use your radio’s safety features or how to make a call on Channel 16. I once heard a distress call from a sinking boat on the Bay and I was impressed at both the captain’s poise and the USCG’s response.

Here’s some info about using Channel 16:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater

Regarding navigation capabilities, if you already have a GPS enabled FF, then the compass, waypoint, MPH, etc. features on high end radios will be redundant. That data will be easier to read and activate on your FF than on the radio simply because the FF screen is larger.

Battery life is important but I’ve never been in my kayak for 12 hours straight (I couldn’t physically do it) and I’ve never run out of juice during my typical 4 to 5 hour trips.

What I like most about my radio, aside from Channel 16 which I hope I never use, is keeping track of my fishing buddies during outings. Where are they, are they safe (many write here how hard it is to see a kayak on the water) and are they catching fish?

I also enjoy hearing the chatter of other fishermen nearby. You can learn a lot about current fishing conditions on the Bay by listening to those cryptic bursts of info from charter or recreational fishermen.

So to me the most important attributes of my radio are its reception and transmission capabilities, even though it has many navigational and safety features. That’s due to my cautious inshore kayak fishing style, of course. If I purchased another radio, I would probably buy a more basic model with fewer bells and whistles.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
            Which one are you using and how is it? I lost my standard horizon last year and need to upgrade from the cheap/basic radio I carry lately.
            Cobra Electronics Mr-Hh500 Marine VHF Handheld Floating 6W Radio with Bluetooth

picked it up a couple weeks ago for $109.00 with free 2 day shipping from walmart.com. Amazon had them for the same price but were out of stock

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
              Cobra Electronics Mr-Hh500 Marine VHF Handheld Floating 6W Radio with Bluetooth

picked it up a couple weeks ago for $109.00 with free 2 day shipping from walmart.com. Amazon had them for the same price but were out of stock
              What power source does it use and how is the lifespan?
              Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
              2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
              2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
              2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

I lost a SH HX400 overboard a month or so ago and replaced it with the HX870. I love all the features, but will admit some are redundant and maybe not necessary. At least it floats! As said before, good planning and having a basic radio that you know how to use properly is all you really need.
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I carry a Uniden MHS75. I'm rarely offshore, but I just carry it so that I'm not necessarily screwed if I manage to lose a paddle or sink my boat when I am.
                  Pescador 12

Comment

Keep that uniden in a dry bag if want it to work when you might actually need it. I had one and it quit after I turtled one time. I thought it was rated for 30 minute submersion. It was not in water for close to that. It powers on still, but it won't transmit anything.

Would not recommend uniden to anybody. Would actually recommend Mrhh175 cobra I got for 35 bucks over that uniden for the money. Standard Horizon is good. Really liked my hx290 and it was actually waterproof, but I found that floating feature does not matter if you turtle in rough conditions...better keep it tethered. I think the 300 has a blinking light when it gets wet...might have recovered the 290 if it had that feature, but I doubt if I would have seen it in daylight.
                    Last edited by JohnE; 08-11-2015, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I've dunked mine before without incident, but if they've got a reputation for dying, I'll look to replace it. I have a plastic dry canister that I can keep it in onboard, but that kinda defeats the purpose: Most of the scenarios in which I envision needing a radio involve losing the boat in one way or the other (a medical emergency that prevents paddling would be the exception).
                      Pescador 12

Comment

I have a couple Standard Horizon HX270's that I've had for years. Tough radios that keep on going. Personally I don't like a lot of the floating radios that I've seen. Most are too bulky for me. I strap mine on tight on the shoulder of my pfd. I have never had it shake loose even in some tough surf crashes.

Comment

Working...
                        X