Deer Creek Launch site and info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer Creek Launch site and info

Thinking of fishing Deer Creek near the Susquehanna River this weekend. Where is the best place to launch out of the DNR site is not very clear on the direct launch into the creek. Am I better off putting in by the Mill then paddling into it?

Also with the colder weather am I better off fishing the creek or staying in the deeper water up towards the Dam? Looking to catch Smallmouth or Stripers.
    Last edited by mi327; 10-25-2013, 12:48 PM.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

The degree of difficulty of launching at the mouth of Deer Creek verses at the Mill is about the same. Although I guess what you are launching will determine the degree of difficulty. Neither location would a cart be of much use. Both have a relatively short carry, about 80'-100' from your car, but there is a downhill element to both launches.

If I wanted to fish the Susky for smbass and stripers using my canoe I would launch at the mouth of Deer Creek. BTW, Deer Creek itself has no stripers and hardly any smbass.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING... Not knowing you kayak skills, I would not launch and fish the Susky if they are generating at Conowingo Dam. The current would be waay too fast and dangerous for a person new to the Susky.

Call the release HOTLINE to find out what releases the dam has planned for the weekend.

The water release hotline number I have is several years old, but I think it still works. If its wrong them maybe others will correct me.

Conowingo Dam Release hotline, its a recording: 1-888-457-4076.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Just launch out of Lapidum and fish north towards the mill and deer creek. You'll find both species all the way up through that area and the launch is simple. Deer creek gets very shallow in that area and that's about the furthest north I'd venture in the hobie.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Thanks for the information, I have launched from the Mill before I have a lighter Yak so I can carry it down to the river. Will likely launch from Lapidum once I figure out my schedule.
        Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

If you have a yak that you can carry, launching at Deer Creek is MUCH easier. I have to drag mine down. Even though my yak has a wheel built in to the rear, it's still a pain. Launching isn't nearly as bad as yanking 80# back up.
          Native Slayer 12
          Native Ultimate

Comment

Working...
          X