anybody fishing the susky lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody fishing the susky lately?

Thinking about going out on Sunday morning. Has anyone been hitting the flats or the river up to the dam lately?
    ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

I guess not.

Comment

Fished the Northeast river a couple times last week, got some bass and stripers, just a few of each
      http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
      484-459-9863
      If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
      *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

thank you Doc

Comment

A few weeks ago I fished out of Lapidum...between the sister rocks and Spencer Island. A 16" rockfish with sores and 5 smallmouth, the largest being 19". All on a chartreuse crankbait
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I have been itching to fish the bush river after watching this video. It was filmed in December...the last day of striper season. I have been to the RR bridge numerous times, only to catch catfish and perch. Not much structure in the area, but the middle of the Bridge is a hole. Drops from 7-18ft. I have always wanted to troll towards the mouth of the river, but there are so many other areas that deliver guaranteed keepers...just sharing my thoughts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0AccHV1vD8
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Dang... that video was quite impressive, albeit for smallish stripers. If it happened once it will happen again. Maybe not every year but certainly worth checking out at least once every Nov./Dec. With the banner 2011 age group coming into the fun-size range it should be better this year than last year. There are a couple of public launches that are within easy range of the RR bridge.

Anyone know if the Carroll Island coal fired power plant is still in operation??? At one time there was a WWD associated with this power plant that attracted good numbers of both stripers and LMBass. There was public access to the WWD from shore. But unfortunately, the fishing clientele trashed up the place to the point it looked like a landfill... and it was shut down. The WWD is reachable by kayak from the State Park ramp on the Dundee but it is a moderately long paddle on a cold winter's day.
              Last edited by HJS; 11-04-2013, 05:31 PM.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                Dang... that video was quite impressive, albeit for smallish stripers. If it happened once it will happen again. Maybe not every year but certainly worth checking out at least once every Nov./Dec. With the banner 2011 age group coming into the fun-size range it should be better this year than last year. There are a couple of public launches that are within easy range of the RR bridge.

Anyone know if the Carroll Island coal fired power plant is still in operation??? At one time there was a WWD associated with this power plant that attracted good numbers of both stripers and LMBass. There was public access to the WWD from shore. But unfortunately, the fishing clientele trashed up the place to the point it looked like a landfill... and it was shut down. The WWD is reachable by kayak from the State Park ramp on the Dundee but it is a moderately long paddle on a cold winter's day.
                Launched on private property to fish the Dundee creek area of the Carroll island power plant a couple years ago in February and caught a few nice stripers. I think its still a little early for the discharge bites to get going?
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                  Launched on private property to fish the Dundee creek area of the Carroll island power plant a couple years ago in February and caught a few nice stripers. I think its still a little early for the discharge bites to get going?
                  I don't know where the discharge is, but the whole area around the plant is roped off. You probably can't get too close unless the discharge is outside the boundaries.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                    I have been itching to fish the bush river after watching this video. It was filmed in December...the last day of striper season. I have been to the RR bridge numerous times, only to catch catfish and perch. Not much structure in the area, but the middle of the Bridge is a hole. Drops from 7-18ft. I have always wanted to troll towards the mouth of the river, but there are so many other areas that deliver guaranteed keepers...just sharing my thoughts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0AccHV1vD8
                    The bush is really close, but I've never fished there. If you want we can give it a shot sometime, although there are plenty of places to catch small stripers. I liked his method of fishing the rat l trap. I've never fished it that way but I can imagine it working well.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Shady - You are right. WWDs won't attract fish until the ambient temperature of nearby waters drops down into the low 40Fs. Mid/upper 30Fs is better yet. That's when the WWD starts pulling in bait and then the stripers will follow. I start thinking about fishing the WWDs around mid/late December depending on how winter weather is progressing.

Yak Fish - Sometimes you don't necessarily need to be right in the plume of the WWD to find fish. Many times the attracting abilities of WWDs extends for a couple 100 yards away from the source.
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                        Shady - You are right. WWDs won't attract fish until the ambient temperature of nearby waters drops down into the low 40Fs. Mid/upper 30Fs is better yet. That's when the WWD starts pulling in bait and then the stripers will follow. I start thinking about fishing the WWDs around mid/late December depending on how winter weather is progressing.

Yak Fish - Sometimes you don't necessarily need to be right in the plume of the WWD to find fish. Many times the attracting abilities of WWDs extends for a couple 100 yards away from the source.
                        Yes, although the actual WWD is pretty far up beyond the area thats closed off, the temperature in the entire creek is quite a bit higher than anywhere nearby.
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                        X