Want To Learn How To Catch Crappie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want To Learn How To Catch Crappie

I have a hankering to catch some Crappie. I have very little experience in freshwater. Does anybody want to help a rookie learn the ropes? I live in Pasadena but will travel for fish. I work most Saturdays, but can easily arranged to get off during the week.
    Last edited by russ498; 11-04-2013, 09:05 AM.

I wish I could help you. I'm right there with you on the interest in crappie. Walleye too.

I know both are in the Tridelphia Reservoir. So far, I have only caught LMB there. I have seen some large crappie caught there by others.
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Jig head and minnows brother.. jig that off the bottoms. or use bobbers and stay in the shore line.. that ipad size depth finder is going to find the fish for u.. go in deep holes and look for a line of fish that go up... they wont stay in an area the crappie on a depth finder look like this

-
      -
      -
      -
      -

Thats where you jig.. other then that stick to structure with minnows and a bobber

you can use small spinner baits as well.. small crank baits
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I'm also interested, but don't have much experience with them either. Supposed to be pretty good over here in the potomac and occoquan. Anybody have much luck with them near the Wilson bridge? There were tons of minnows by the little fishing pier under the bridge the other day. Unfortunately, I do not have a fishfinder to search for them.

Comment

Last Year I was scouting the Occouquan Regional park and ran into a couple forum members who were getting ready to go out for some crappie. I took advantage of the encounter and I asked them a whole bunch of questions. I never got to go out fishing at that time but I did gather good intel from them. Hopefully I will try to get some of them this year and see if I get lucky

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
            Jig head and minnows brother.. jig that off the bottoms. or use bobbers and stay in the shore line.. that ipad size depth finder is going to find the fish for u.. go in deep holes and look for a line of fish that go up... they wont stay in an area the crappie on a depth finder look like this

-
            -
            -
            -
            -

Thats where you jig.. other then that stick to structure with minnows and a bobber

you can use small spinner baits as well.. small crank baits

Don't talk about it, show me!!!!

Comment

Cenntenial has good crappie sizes and population there. It would be a good place to start. But your kinda late in the season. They may have already moved deeper. But u can always catch them regaurdless of season. Its just alil harder. Youll be doing more searching. Shad spoons instead of shad darts topped with a minnow and jigged for deeper water work too.
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
              -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

crappie and occasional yellow perch should be at the Marina (occoquan river) at this time ,used small jig, along those pilings or flip it under the docks.last year
                we filled bucketloads of crappie on gulp alive minnows w/the smallest jig that you can find,or go to the falls underneath the footbridge,bobber is a good idea too but they are on different depth so jig is a better option

Comment

Originally posted by russ498 View Post
                  Don't talk about it, show me!!!!
                  Isn't the December meet and greet targeting crappie?
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by MrT View Post
                    crappie and occasional yellow perch should be at the Marina (occoquan river) at this time ,used small jig, along those pilings or flip it under the docks.last year
                    we filled bucketloads of crappie on gulp alive minnows w/the smallest jig that you can find,or go to the falls underneath the footbridge,bobber is a good idea too but they are on different depth so jig is a better option
                    Thanks for the info, going to give it a shot soon. Only about 20 minutes from my house. Might add to the list of species I've caught on gulp...most fish seem to love that stuff.

Comment

The Occoquan is a great place for crappies...boats were in there thick as thieves this weekend, but plenty of area to go around. Crappie are very structure oriented, place yourself near piers, bridge pilings and any number of small plastic jigs grubs, Gulp minnow can catch them. Also, don't over look blade baits...the SILVER BUDDY is an excellent blade bait but it takes getting used to the feel. Someone mentioned Centenial Lake in Columbia, also good crappie population...two to three casts from shore, generally running parallel w the dam are some submerged trees, this area is excellent in spring...I have never tried fall, but may...its closer than Occoquan.
                      Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

I've got a really good way to catch them and any other kind of pan fish. I experimented with a cane pole last year...a 17' long one that you can buy at bass pro. Put a light jighead with a small grub or gulp at the end. Let out a little line and just gently jig as you go slowly along the shoreline. You'll catch small fish by the boatload. It's really pretty simple. The really nice thing is that you can put it right in the strike zone like a shrub, under brush or some wooded area that you'd snag if you ever tried to cast there. You just drop it there and gently give the grub some action. Small gulp minnows work really well or a trout magnet. Honestly, it's almost too easy. If it looks fishy around a shoreline, they'll be there.

The downside is that there's no fight. You just lift them out of the water. I have a super tiny rod that is really fun for catching pan fish but it's not as effective, so it depends what you're looking for....fun or a skillet of fish.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                          Isn't the December meet and greet targeting crappie?
                          Yes, sir! December M&G will be on the Occoquan targeting crappie. I am waiting for this week's M&G to pass before putting up a post about it.
                          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Working...
                          X