Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ictalarus and I pre-fish PLO for M&G --Important info too

First here is some Important info.
    1) if everyone wants to eat earlier we could change the meal time. I figured later was better since some guys may get a late start
    2) I'll have some little maps for ho to get to Spinnakers/PLO marina
    3) if you make a decision to eat at last minute, don't worry. there should be plenty of room.
    4) If you decide to vary from the PLO location OR if you decide to just come for lunch OR if you get lost and need help---- text or call me 301-904-0549
    5) look at message from Talonangler I have further down in the thread

Not the report:
    Took off late morning to pre-fish the area with Bill. Interestingly enough, the weather Sat. is supposed to be similar to today's. We had plans to do way more than we could do. Ended up concentrating on east side of cornfield. Sadly, did not get to cornfield point area...nor did we see pids in that area, though several center consoles hit tat area throughout the afternoon.
    We took of for the sumberged rocks shown on the NOAA chart of the area, hoping to find some gray trout we heard were bouncing around the lower Potomac....but just as we found them we saw some birds working in the shallows and went to check them out. What we found was very willing school of schoolies very willing to hit topwater poppers and XPS slimdog walkers. we caught quite a number of hard fighting 14-17 inchers.

They were still biting steady when we remembered our job was recon and we headed back to the rocks. we marked a few fish there but could not entice a bite. We then decided to troll to the weather light. )Bill caught a couple on the way there and back with deep diving plugs (which I did not bring). I managed to snag a crab pot! once at the light Bill lost a keeper at the boat. At that point we decided we'd reconned enough and headed back to where we had caught the schoolies. The only significant wind of the day came up at this time and of course I had to push "the Gift Horse" directly into it....which it HATES to do.
    We picked where we left off, plenty of top water action in very shallow water. Fun. I even caught a keeper (no pic of that guy for some odd reason) . We left to get back before dark. Caught a few on the way in....including a 9" rock on my 6" plug . At this point the harbor was like glass and was beautiful

In all, we caught about 35+ total fish. We caught them in groups , but there is every indication that we'll catch some fish on Saturday!

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Also......I asked TalonAngler for info/advice from his perspective. Here is his response (and my initial message) some interesting stuff.

Re: holy crap...M&G
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinfry
    Are you looking at the count for SAT??? It is going to be the regatta to end all kayak regattas! Looks like 30+! LOL
    Any advice I ought to pass on to folks?
    any new word on fish (Ictalarus and I are prefishing today. Looks like similar weather to what we'll encounter Sat based on the windfinder site.

kevinfry

(TalonAngler) I've already started warning my co-workers to not be alarmed when the kayaks invade! Parking may get tight around the camp store with everyone driving their own vehicle, but I think a healthy amount of people will choose to launch from the Pet Beach. If it gets too crazy, people can drop their yak at the camp store and take their vehicle to the boat launch (therefore escaping the ramp fee).

I've heard nothing spectacular on the fish front, yet we have a healthy amount of guys night fishing still. I was amazed yesterday when I saw a micro burst of tiny spot being caught on the Conoy side of the causeway. Up until very recently, people were catching small black drum left and right, there might be a keeper lurking.

Go ahead and cut and copy anything you think the guys will want to see onto the thread. Let me know what you find out there today!

Comment

Thanks for the recon, Kevin! Good to see Bill out there as well.

Looking forward to it

Justin

Comment

you would have loved it. Topwater stripers in shallow water!

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
          you would have loved it. Topwater stripers in shallow water!
          Giggling like a school girl hahah!

Comment

Working...
          X