Who fishes through the winter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who fishes through the winter??

Just wondering who toughs it out through the winter, where you go, what you fish for, etc? Since I'm just getting the kayak, I'm wondering how much opportunity I'll have between now and spring. I was thinking i could pick up a wet suit and fish the more decent days all the way through. However this is my first year in these parts so I have no idea where to head out to or if its even worth it.. who are the brave ones?
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

I live in Dameron and I am picking up my new Pro Angler tomorrow from Bluhaven. I fish with a couple of guys that fish all year round. I will fish locally and probably make a few trips to Nags Head. I hope to meet some of you all at the meet and great on Saturday to learn about the hot, well cold this time of year, spots to fish through the winter. I talked to a friend about maybe hitting the James River for catfish when it gets really tough to be on the bay.
    Live for today, and fish often...
    2014 Pro Angler 14
    St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

I fish straight through the winter for largemouth bass (on local reservoirs like Clopper Lake in Seneca Creek State Park) and for smallmouth bass on the Upper Potomac River. I do plan on fishing the Tidal Potomac for Largemouth Bass more this cold water season as I believe I discovered something in the early spring when the water temperature was still in the low forties.
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I'll concentrate on Deer hunting after T-giving, then start hitting Blue catfish in the Potomac starting in February

of course, after my first trip of the bowhunting season last Sunday, I may do more fishing for awhile....

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nicely done! Looks like you've got hunting figured out! Where do you hunt at?
          Jeff B
          Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

Originally posted by beerums View Post
            Nicely done! Looks like you've got hunting figured out! Where do you hunt at?
            couple of private pieces of land in St Mary's Co.
            Wish I had some hunting ground in northern Carrol, Baltimore or Harford Co so I could hunt with my son! He lives in York PA
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

nice one! I was heavy into bow hunting for a few years but when I moved massachusetts I didn't have anywhere to go and ended up selling all my gear.
              2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by Jambone View Post
                I live in Dameron and I am picking up my new Pro Angler tomorrow from Bluhaven. I fish with a couple of guys that fish all year round. I will fish locally and probably make a few trips to Nags Head. I hope to meet some of you all at the meet and great on Saturday to learn about the hot, well cold this time of year, spots to fish through the winter. I talked to a friend about maybe hitting the James River for catfish when it gets really tough to be on the bay.
                I have a couple friends that are regularly in Nags Head and Hatteras fishing, I definitely plan to get down there a few times. I'm also going to florida in January for a work trip, and those same friends might meet me down there with the yaks.. Is the pro angler your first kayak. I can't wait to pick mine up.
                2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I just sold my off shore fishing boat and diving into kayak fishing. I have fished from my friends kayaks for years and never really needed to buy one so yes, this is the first kayak I have purchased. I didn't want to short change myself and I have been set on buying the Pro Angler for a while. I will be rigging the boat as soon as I get the chance to pick it up tomorrow. I really want to fish OBX sound in the next few weeks. When do you get your boat?
                  2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

Picking it up Sunday... I was surf fishing in Hatteras last weekend. We caught a few puppy drum in the keeper bracket and one 34"er. Other than that it was a lot of blue fish and skates, but every fishing trip is a good fishing trip.
                    I'll probably be confined to semi local day trips for a while now, at least until after the holidays and the florida trip. I'm hoping to chase down some big striper somewhere soon, but I haven't seen much mention of them around here.
                    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I have been catching nice fish at the reef outside St. Jerome Creek about a week ago. My neighbor was throwing back 27" fish regularly jigging, kept a 37". I don't know if I can get out to the reef in a Pro Angler. It's a new game for me. Where are you getting your yak from?
                      2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by OVERBOARD View Post
                        Just wondering who toughs it out through the winter, where you go, what you fish for, etc? Since I'm just getting the kayak, I'm wondering how much opportunity I'll have between now and spring. I was thinking i could pick up a wet suit and fish the more decent days all the way through. However this is my first year in these parts so I have no idea where to head out to or if its even worth it.. who are the brave ones?

Specks are around all winter In Virginia, Migratory bass have not shown up yet but should in the next few weeks. Schoolie striper are everywhere in the winter you just have to go deeper.
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

yellow perch in January and February on the upper bay

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

Fewer boats, less sweating, no sunburns, bigger fish:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by FRED driver View Post
                              Fewer boats, less sweating, no sunburns, bigger fish:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9817[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9818[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9819[/ATTACH]

Now that is frigid fishing!!
                              2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                              X