December M&G 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December M&G 2013

The next M&G will be in Northern Virginia. Some of you might immediately think "woah, that's too far." but don't let that deter you. For most of the MD forum members, it actually isn't much farther than a lot of the other M&G's we have had this year. Besides, wouldn't you rather be fishing in December than sitting at home?

Date: Saturday, December 14
    Location: Occoquan Regional Park (9751 Ox Rd. Lorton, VA 22079).
    Target Species: Crappie!
    Other Species Available: largemouth bass, blue catfish, flathead catfish, channel catfish, white perch, yellow perch.
    Launch Time: The park opens at 8AM in December. We can aim to meet at 8AM, and fish until Noon.
    Launch Fee:
    • $4 for Virginians on beach
    • $5 for Non-Virginians on beach
    • $8 for Virginians on ramp
    • $9 for Non-Virginians on ramp

Lunch: 1PM @ Dixie Bones. Good barbeque place close by.

I have only fished the Occoquan a few times last year, so I can't offer too much advice...Oh, I have one good piece of advice - make sure you are prepared for cold weather. Also, I might leave the big rod holder rigs at home - it's tough getting into tight places for crappie when you have more than 1 or 2 rods with you.

To make up for my poor list of tips above, here are some links to some blog posts and forum threads about crappie fishing on the Occoquan:

Attached is a map of the launch area, and the areas where I have personally caught fish. I have not yet explored areas north of the launch area.
    Also, note the thick red line. If I understand this page correctly, here are the licensing rules:
    • If you live in Virginia, you need a freshwater license to fish any part of the Occoquan.
    • If you live in Maryland, a MD tidal license is accepted in all areas at or below the red line.
    • If you live in Maryland and want to fish above the red line, you will need a Non-Resident VA Freshwater license.

If you're from Maryland and don't have a VA freshwater license, I would just stick with the MD tidal license and fish the 95 bridge. I've caught most of my bigger crappie there.

DecemberMeetAndGreet.jpg
    Last edited by Sun; 12-07-2013, 10:31 PM. Reason: Changed lunch location.
    Sun Fishin'

Attendees

The List:
    • Sun
    • Runnin - maybe
    • Shady
    • AbuMasgouf
    • huizhao85
    • Big T
    • M_Duong60
    • OVERBOARD
    • Rockchaser
    • Jaspratt
    • BassMoore
    • HearadonCatch
    • echo5oscar
    • MD Dore
    • zeebyrd - maybe
    Last edited by Sun; 12-13-2013, 12:44 AM.
    Sun Fishin'

Comment

I'm going to make every effort to get to this one. New water for me and I am not an experiences crappie fishermen. The ones I've caught have come by accident fishing for something else. Will confirm around first of month after I check with my social calandar manager.
      Last edited by Runnin; 11-12-2013, 09:17 AM.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Don't remember the name, but that BBQ place we ate at last year was pretty good...

Also, Sun knows very well that the channel cats in the area love gulp

I'm thinking I might make this one. I'd love to get into a big flathead...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Add me to the list. I love crappie fishing almost as much as catfishin....If it is cold enough maybe we will get some ice fishing lessons in as well...
          Hobie Outback
          Stand Up Paddle Board
          Pelican 100

Comment

Good luck guys! I'll miss this one due to a boat trip down to CBBT. Make sure you guys bring a rod for catfish, you never know what you'll catch!

Last edited by Redfish12; 11-12-2013, 08:34 PM.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

If I'm not down in Norfolk that weekend, I will try to make this one. It is right down the road from me. Not sure about anywhere to eat, never tried anything right by the Occoquan and there is an area devoid of any good restaruants between here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                Will confirm around first of month after I check with my social calandar manager.
                Social calendar manager...haha. I'm going to use that in the future. Hope it works out for you.

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                Don't remember the name, but that BBQ place we ate at last year was pretty good...
                I believe that was Dixie Bones. I thought the food was good too....but yelpers seem to think the other place is better. I'll put up a vote when it gets closer to the M&G. BBQ on a cold winter day does sound good though. Oh, I'll give you any small fish I catch to use for flathead bait.

Originally posted by clm View Post
                Add me to the list. I love crappie fishing almost as much as catfishin....If it is cold enough maybe we will get some ice fishing lessons in as well...
                I hope it won't be that cold! I'm thinking mid-December shouldn't be so bad...but you never know with weather.

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                Good luck guys! I'll miss this one due to a boat trip down to CBBT. Make sure you guys bring a rod for catfish, you never know what you'll catch!
                Sorry you can't make it, Michael. Have fun in CBBT though. Thanks for posting the pic. I don't think I would ever want to have a catfish all over my upper body like that. Catfish slime....Blech!

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                If I'm not down in Norfolk that weekend, I will try to make this one. It is right down the road from me. Not sure about anywhere to eat, never tried anything right by the Occoquan and there is an area devoid of any good restaruants between here and there.
                You make it down there pretty frequently...you thinking of going Thanksgiving week? I am toying with the idea of going down on the 27th....
                Sun Fishin'

Comment

Taking the nephews paintballing and then hiking in the shenandoah that weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                    Sorry you can't make it, Michael. Have fun in CBBT though. Thanks for posting the pic. I don't think I would ever want to have a catfish all over my upper body like that. Catfish slime....Blech!
                    Surprisingly, Flatheads are not nearly as slimy as other cats.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Woohoo! Sun representing VA! I'm in for that weekend
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I usually have to work Saturdays, but have my fingers crossed that I can get this one off. I love Fishing and really want to learn to catch crappie.

Comment

It was nice meeting you at PLO Sun. I will try to make this M&G, thanks for hosting.

Does anyone know if it's legal to liveline crappies for flatheads in VA?

Comment

Good luck on the Occoquan . I unfortunately will not make it. I fished the docks with Jeff S on 11/8. Below is a link to my report.http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...-Crappie/page2. I believe it was still a little slow but the crappie should be showing up in mass soon. We we caught most through vertical jigging.
                            Last edited by Moschedmi; 11-14-2013, 10:29 PM.
                            Ed
                            Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Why not! I'm looking forward to a little fun with sun!!!
                              See you then.

Big T

Comment

Working...
                              X