Your preferred line for trolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your preferred line for trolling

I'm trying to get a idea of what works best for u guys. What kind of line do you prefer to troll with? I use 12 lb braid with a 25lb fluorocarbon leader myself. What is your most successful depth?

That might be a little light for trolling Stripers ....... Floro an.d braid have no stretch ........ When you are trolling you have the drag of the line and the lure to start with ......... Then add a hard strike and you might have a broken line ....... I use 30+

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
      That might be a little light for trolling Stripers ....... Floro an.d braid have no stretch ........ When you are trolling you have the drag of the line and the lure to start with ......... Then add a hard strike and you might have a broken line ....... I use 30+
      Do you use a leader? What's your preferred trolling line

Comment

It depends on several things. The structure you are trolling around and the more structure you are near when you get a strike, the fish want to run there for safety. Too light line and you will be broken off. Another thing is the size of your fish you are targeting or have the potential to target. The type of lures you are trolling and or the depth you are trolling. So my suggestion is to fish with a minimum of 16lbs test Main line up to no more than 30lbs leader if you are using a leader.

Comment

Much will depend on your rod also. If you are using a heavy type trolling rod, then you definitely need heavier line. In the spring, I use 30lb test, mainly for larger fish. It is trophy season, and the main stem of the bay is the area to fish. In the summer and fall, I tend to use lighter casting tackle to troll. I then troll 20lb test. I also use braid for trolling. It is thinner and tends to get the lure down deeper. I use mostly crankbaits as tolled baits. Line diameter is very important with crankbaits. Other baits you can add weight to get down deeper. A fluorocarbon leader is a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattybofmd View Post
            Do you use a leader? What's your preferred trolling line
            Braid or leadcore .......... I like the mono leader 4-6 ft acts as a shock absorber 25 lb+ .......... Haven't seen problems with line shy fish because it moves fast ......... Like floro for everything else ....... Jigging etc

Comment

Working...
            X