test ride on Slayer Propel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test ride on Slayer Propel

Native Watercraft recently released its updated pedal kayak called the Slayer Propel. I was planning to order one, but I wanted to see one in person and if possible take a test ride to see how my large body would work in that seat and with the foot drive. Very few of our local dealers have any of this model in stock. I learned that Delaware Paddlesports in Lewes, DE had several in stock, and had one designated as a demo for test rides.

I drove to Lewes this morning and met the folks at the shop. They helped me load the Slayer Propel into my minivan, then drove with me to the town beach at Lewes to launch directly into Delaware Bay. Fortunately the strong winds that we experienced here today were not an issue when I launched. I had a 5-10 minute pedal. It was all new to me, and it took some fiddling to get the seat adjusted the way I wanted it. But I definitely liked the kayak. I plan to order one in the next few days.

The folks at Delaware Paddlesports were very accommodating and helpful. I really appreciated them letting me test their new demo Slayer Propel.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Looks like a very cool kayak. Prop powered. You can go backwards! How do you go backwards?
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I think I answered my own question by looking at the pedals closer. Guessing you pedal backwards since, unlike the Hobie Mirage drives, it's a rotational drive. Neat.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Mike -

I thought I had answered this last evening, but I guess I left the page before hitting "Reply". You are correct. To move in reverse or to get a braking effect when moving forward, just pedal backwards.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John, Thanks for the report on the test drive. It looks really cool and I'll be saving up over the winter to get mine. How long was the kayak that you tested??
          On another note, I was out in all that wind yesterday on my Manta. It was kinda a stupid being out in the fist place, but the stability of this yak was really impressive. I was in Dave's cove and the longer I was out, the worse it got. Anyway, made it back in, upright and dry!
          I'm glad you prompted me to buy it.
          Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Native Watercraft recently released its updated pedal kayak called the Slayer Propel. I was planning to order one, but I wanted to see one in person and if possible take a test ride to see how my large body would work in that seat and with the foot drive. Very few of our local dealers have any of this model in stock. I learned that Delaware Paddlesports in Lewes, DE had several in stock, and had one designated as a demo for test rides.

I drove to Lewes this morning and met the folks at the shop. They helped me load the Slayer Propel into my minivan, then drove with me to the town beach at Lewes to launch directly into Delaware Bay. Fortunately the strong winds that we experienced here today were not an issue when I launched. I had a 5-10 minute pedal. It was all new to me, and it took some fiddling to get the seat adjusted the way I wanted it. But I definitely liked the kayak. I plan to order one in the next few days.

The folks at Delaware Paddlesports were very accommodating and helpful. I really appreciated them letting me test their new demo Slayer Propel.
          ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Hi John,

I'm interested in eventually getting a Slayer propel or the Ultimate propel. I want to keep weight down so have been leaning towards the Ultimate 12. How heavy is that Slayer to move around?

Looking forward to seeing photos of the boat in action.

Tom

Comment

So, my bad shoulder does not allow me to fish as long and cover as much water as I want in a paddle kayak when the fishing is hot. When I get a peddle drive, it looks like I am also going for the Slayer propel. Unless something else comes out, I may own one of these next year. I've looked at all of them, and this is the only peddle drive I really like enough to own.

Not really interested in anything in Hobie's lineup. PA is too big, too heavy, too expensive, no tracks for mounting, and no way to pedal in reverse. Revo has a horrible seat, not stable enough to stand, no tracks. The slayer looks just about perfect all around. I almost bought the paddle version of the Slayer when I got the Ride, but I ended up getting a deal on the Ride and it was not worth the extra money for me. Love the Ride, and would stick with it for a long time if not for my shoulder issues. May keep it and have both.

Please update us after you get out there and start fishing in it.

Comment

"Revo has a horrible seat..."

I've been sitting in one all season and hadn't noticed that.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  "Revo has a horrible seat..."

I've been sitting in one all season and hadn't noticed that.
                  Ok, maybe not horrible, but not really what I want to be sitting on as much as I fish. Maybe if I added an air pad under my butt...I do not have as much built-in padding on me in that area as other people might. . My friend has the revo and he agreed that seat is a bit of a joke, when I commented on it. I would expect something more substantial if I spend that much on a kayak. He is envious of the seat on my Ride. If I got a Hobie, I think it would probably be the Revo. I like it, but it is just not perfect for my needs.

Comment

And that is why there are so many Yak manufacturers. If there was one perfect Yak for everyone, that would be the only one produced. You couldn't pry me out of my Pro Angler, since stability is my main concern, and weight means nothing. Pluses and minuses. In the end you buy what you like that fits your budget. As I have said before, I have over $10,000 tied up in my package, but there are a plenty of guys in store brand paddle yaks that catch a lot more fish than me. The Yak is just another tool, it doesn't produce the fish, the fisherman does.

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                    Ok, maybe not horrible, but not really what I want to be sitting on as much as I fish. Maybe if I added an air pad under my butt...I do not have as much built-in padding on me in that area as other people might. . My friend has the revo and he agreed that seat is a bit of a joke, when I commented on it. I would expect something more substantial if I spend that much on a kayak. He is envious of the seat on my Ride. If I got a Hobie, I think it would probably be the Revo. I like it, but it is just not perfect for my needs.

Comment

John E ............ Ya might want to Google Mirage drive vs Propel and see what a bunch of folks say .........

Comment

been doing that. I really like the Slayer, but I fish a lot of shallow areas with rocks and also stuff that will get tangled in propel. You can flutter the mirage. Guess it might have to be a Hobie after all. I am going to try my friend's revo next time. I was not planning on a peddle drive, but my shoulder is only going to get worse.

Comment

I am pleased to hear that you are satisfied with the Manta Ray. I feel safe and stable in my Manta Ray 14.5 in anything up to 2 ft waves -- beyond that, I don't really want to be in any kayak. Of all the kayaks I have ever used for a day's fishing, I have never found a more comfortable seat than the padded seat in the Manta Ray.

Originally posted by Darryl330 View Post
                          John, Thanks for the report on the test drive. It looks really cool and I'll be saving up over the winter to get mine. How long was the kayak that you tested??
                          On another note, I was out in all that wind yesterday on my Manta. It was kinda a stupid being out in the fist place, but the stability of this yak was really impressive. I was in Dave's cove and the longer I was out, the worse it got. Anyway, made it back in, upright and dry!
                          I'm glad you prompted me to buy it.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

I certainly did not intend to start a pissing match about which brand of pedal-drive kayak is best. Most of you know that I am on Pro Staff for Native, and I naturally prefer their products. But Hobie kayaks are very good boats that are strongly represented on this board and within the greater Chesapeake region. They have been pretty much the only game in town for pedal-drive boats until now. The Slayer Propel will provide an alternative. Many will still prefer the Hobie features, while others will prefer the Slayer features. As Russ said, that is why there are many kayak manufacturers.

I placed the order for my new Slayer Propel this morning. It will be a bright orange color called road cone orange (visibility to other boaters is important for me). I expect to receive the new kayak a few days before Christmas.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

Rick -

The original Propel drive that was used on the Ultimate and Mariner models for the past few years did have some issues (but from what I read on here with some regular frequency, so do some of the mirage drives). The Propel was redesigned for the new Slayer hull and should perform better than the earlier Propel model did. I certainly hope so, since I just ordered one.

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                              John E ............ Ya might want to Google Mirage drive vs Propel and see what a bunch of folks say .........
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                              X