Go pro silver or tough camera .. .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
    Ha, but that is how I am getting the aw110. Just opened my present early to make sure I like it enough to keep it. I am going to put this thing through some extreme tests to make sure it can hold up...if not back to Costco it goes. They take everything back--just have a 90 day limit on electronics.

Now, I think the bad reviews about the waterproof abilities of the aw110 are a result of people not realizing the limitations of the camera and/or not using common sense. Seems like most of the complaints are from people who used it in tropical places snorkeling. The most likely problem is that the camera can't be exposed to temps over 104 degrees for extended periods of time. Those people probably left it on the beach in a bag and caused problems with the gasket material. They may have also got sunscreen or little bits of sand or other debris on the gasket when changing battery or memory card. It might not be the best choice for snorkeling in tropical places because of the 104 degree limit. I am sure the gasket material on other brands are subject to similar problems. I don't plan on snorkeling or even using it in very hot, tropical climates but will keep in mind the limitations if I do. Now, I do plan on using it in extreme cold temperatures on snowboarding trips...so compromising the gasket from very cold temperatures worries me more.

From all the research I have been doing lately, the aw110 seems to be the best bet currently for a tough camera on a budget...hard to beat for the price ($200 @ Costco with case and 8gb memory card or just under $200 on amazon).

I think I might also go that same route and get both eventually. Might go for the JVC addixion or one of the other less expensive cams to start out with...I don't need the absolute best quality in the world, but may eventually upgrade if I get into videos.
    I'm glad you said this. because I never even thought about a temperature limit. I would have probably left the camera out on the beach in the direct sunlight (I do this now with my other camera). Now you got me thinking about the AW110 again!!

Comment

DSCN0678.jpgDSCN0680.jpgDSCN0684.jpgDSCN0693.jpgDSCN0697.jpgDSCN0698.jpg Here are some pics from the aw110. I did not mess with any of the settings yet, just used auto. Pretty good, but not amazing quality. Should be able to get some better quality images with some adjustments. The wifi feature is mostly just good for viewing/transferring images to your tablet or smart phone. I was expecting a full featured app, but you can only snap photos and view/transfer. The app can't do videos, use the timer or anything else I was hoping it would do. I still think it is a good tough cam for $200 so far.

Comment

Working...
      X