Essential Items for Kayak Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential Items for Kayak Fishing

I made a post on my blog awhile ago about some items that are essential for anyone wanting to start out Kayak Fishing. I hope this helps some of the newer people that want to get into this wonderful, money draining sport that we all love.

http://www.makoslayer.com/p/equipment_7.html

Be sure to comment on the thread or blog if i left anything out!

I agree that all of those items are nice to have. However, I differ in where I draw the line between what is absolutely necessary to get started in kayak fishing and what is a desirable accessory. The seminar I give on an introduction to kayak fishing (intended for newcomers) offers these two lists. Most MKF members have quite a few of the items on the second list. However, I have fished on many occasions with just the basics from the first list and have caught plenty of fish (e.g., short trips from my Mini-X; rental kayaks). The items on the second list improve the kayak fishing experience but are not really necessary to get started. But each of us can draw the baseline/optional boundary wherever we wish.

Minimum/critical types of gear for fishing from a kayak - many anglers want more gear, but you can catch fish with just these basics
    - PFD (get one that is comfortable and actually wear it)
    - paddle (consider shaft length, blade shape and surface area, weight (related to materials – less weight is >$$$)
    - at least one fishing rod
    - selection of lures, hooks, etc
    - noise making device (whistle attached to your PFD)

Other types of gear that are often added
    - rod holders (flush mount vs. surface mount) for multiple rods
    - fishfinder w/ or w/o GPS (will require battery)
    - extra tackle storage (milk crate, tackle bag, etc)
    - extra seat cushion
    - anchor and trolley
    - flag and light
    - camera (still and/or video – some require mounting brackets/poles)
    - live wells (to keep bait alive)
    - electric motors and large batteries
    - cooler
    - net
    - wheels for rolling kayak across parking lot or sand
    - fish measuring board (like Hawg Trough)
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Rabbit's foot.
      Doodle.
      Mojo (preferably not half a Mojo).

Comment

I like John's minimum /critical list. I think the size of the water you are on, and the weather you are in makes a difference. Small water in the summertime, and you can be really minimalist. Get on bigger water, or in weather anything less than ideal and you need to be more prepared and that means more stuff,
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I have just spent my first season kayak fishing with the very basics, and have really enjoyed myself.
          No rod holders, other then the PVC mounted on my milk crate.
          No fish finder
          The only anchor was a 10 lb weight from a barbell set. Used a couple of times and kept me in place.

I usually had three rods with me. An ultra light, good to have when fishing is really tough and you just want to get something into (onto?) the yak. A med heavy spinning outfit and a 7" baitcasting outfit.

I really wanted to get experience before I started making decisions on the add-ons. For 2014, probably on a new kayak, there will be the fishfinder/gps., anchor with trolley, strategicly placed rod holders etc.

NOW, if I can just find a place to buy, rabbits foot, MOJO, doodle, etc. I'll be set
          ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

I tend to bring less with me when I river fish for smallies on the Potomac.

One of the most useful items I bring is a waterproof storage box to keep my cell phone, wallet, and car keys in.

Comment

If you go alone ........ I'd include a VHF radio incase you get in trouble and if you are in the ocean or on big water a Spot Locater ........... you don't want to flip, lose your Yak and be drifting out to sea without some way for people to locate you ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                I like John's minimum /critical list. I think the size of the water you are on, and the weather you are in makes a difference. Small water in the summertime, and you can be really minimalist. Get on bigger water, or in weather anything less than ideal and you need to be more prepared and that means more stuff,
                Very good point. Waders or dry suit, for example, are not so important when fishing quiet waters in warm weather. However, if you tried to fish the bay without protection on a day like today, it'd be taking a pretty big chance.
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                  If you go alone ........ I'd include a VHF radio incase you get in trouble and if you are in the ocean or on big water a Spot Locater ........... you don't want to flip, lose your Yak and be drifting out to sea without some way for people to locate you ..........
                  +1
                  LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                  Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Tim - Great blog and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Here’s a list of a few small things not mentioned above that I always take. Some are not essential, but a few of them are and I’m always glad I have them handy.

- Small hand towel. Used to dry off hands, wipe off FF screen and camera after landing a splashy fish. Clean up fish poop that squirts out sometimes.
                      - Fish glove. I like the Fish-Off gloves. They are partially covered with crinkly rubber to help firmly hold the fish and not wipe off too much body slim. Being right-handed I generally take only the left glove.
                      - Klenex. I always tuck a few in my shirt pocket to wipe salt spray off my glasses. Smeary glasses just wrecks my day.
                      - TP. Self explanatory.
                      - Forceps. I get the ones that are a combination forceps and scissors so I can not only dehook fish but clip mono too.
                      - Appropriate clothing for the predicted weather, especially a hat. I have a couple of hats squirreled away in the car just in case. When you are partially bald you definitely need a hat on a sunny day.
                      - Sunscreen.
                      - Food & water, especially if planning a long day on the water.

And last, I post a permanent check-list of all things needed on the inside of the door to my outdoor fishing equipment shed. I check it every time I go fishing just to be sure nothing gets left behind.
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Sunscreen in warm weather.

Band aids with anti-septic ointment. (I've used these quite frequently including last week when a pickerel nipped my thumb and I was bleeding freely.)

Bottle of drinking water.

Lastly, I store a spare car key in a PFD pocket. I carry a dry bag for my personal belongings (keys, wallet, cell phone) but in case I lose that, I still want to be able to drive home. If I lose access to the PFD I figure I won't need to drive anymore...
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

+1 on John's minimum list.

I started off with an Ocean Kayak Frenzy, PFD, paddle, fishing rod & vest.
                          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

minimalist fishing, even from shore - fishing rod and a pair of long-nose pliers. too often pliers help in reducing damage to fish during unhooking. so there's no good reason not to keep some handy.

and sunglasses.

Comment

Didn't see anyone mention leashes as important. The more things you have leashed the fewer things you can lose, including your kayak (if you go over)

Comment

Working...
                              X