Adding To The Arsenal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding To The Arsenal

Now that i have the kayak pretty well set, I've decided to start adding to the rod and reel arsenal.. I've currently been using two cheapo rods and reels that i bought at Walmart probably 6-7 years ago, and i do have two nice set ups as well, but i bought them last year when I owned a boat for trolling the New England coast.. They were too heavy then and they are especially to heavy now...lol Actually one of them is a Penn Battle 5000 with a heavy jigging rod that i will probably keep as is..

I've been reading reviews like crazy for the last few days and finally ordered some stuff.

1. Shimano Calcutta 400D with a G Loomis Pro Blue Inshore Rod 7' Medium Heavy 843C model

2. Shimano Chronarch 200e7 with a St Croix Avid Inshore 7' MH

3. Then on a whim I picked up a Daiwa Tatula H 6:3:1 with a Falcon Bucoo Micro

The daiwa is a super nice reel and probably one of the best "bang for buck" reels out there right now. However I'm a little concerned about whether or not it will be able to handle the brackish and salt water that I will be in most of the time.. I have to do some more reading on it, but may return that one. The others are salt rated.

Even though I love my baitcasters, I still like to keep one or two spinning setups for throwing the stuff that is just too light for them. I haven't bought any spinning stuff yet but i will be looking over the next week or so.. Like i said earlier, I have the Battle 5000 already, but I want to buy something in the 3000 size range.. I've been looking at the Stradic FJ and also the new Penn Conflict. The conflict is a really cool looking reel and supposed to be very tough while still smooth. I'm a little concerned about the stradic being fragile...

I'm open to suggestions as I'm just getting into the Bay fishing and these were just my best guesses... I'm would rather swap some stuff out while it's new and i can do exchanges instead of finding out in the spring, I should have gone a different direction....
    Last edited by OVERBOARD; 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM.
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

OVERBOARD,

Congrats on your new kayak.

I use freshwater reels however I do spray them with fresh water after each use in the Bay and then I use an air compressor to blow the water out so they are not stored wet. I also use WD40 regularly on them to keep them lubricated and to further removed unwanted water from them. That regimen kept them in good working order for me this year. So I believe you can get by with freshwater gear if you take the time to clean it regularly.

I use spinning reels and bait casters. Neither are high end -- Mitchell 308s for the spinning reels and Shimano Curados for the bait casters. Both have proved sufficient for my style of fishing. If you’re going to jig at the Bay Bridge you’ll likely need heavier tools.

I really came to appreciate the bait casters this season. The demarcation for me to use them is lures that are 1/2 oz. and higher. I can toss them a country mile; farther and with much more control than with spinning tackle. For lighter lures I use spinning rods.

I also fly fish from my kayak. Again I use freshwater equipment. But I go through the same cleaning process with them as do with my other tackle.

Good luck and have great time outfitting your new toy.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

First setup showed up on my door today.. The rod and reel are an awesome pair and I've never owned any equipment this nice.. The feel of them is worlds apart from the stuff I am used to using and i cannot wait to get out and try this rig..

IMG_20131216_180259_812.jpgIMG_20131216_180325_802.jpgIMG_20131216_180345_922.jpgIMG_20131216_180444_984.jpg

I'm going to be starting a separate thread to share my thoughts on the power pro slick 8 that i had them spool it with though
      2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Sounds like you made some nice choices. I also use some non-salt water reels in salt and spray off with fresh. They hold up fine. Hey, why not get some of your name rods. They float. I have 2 theyre pretty nice.http://www.overboardfishingrods.com/...-fishing-rods/
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I hadn't seen those...lol I still need a spinning rod, and don't want to spend as much on that.... I may have to try one out
          2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I also use fresh water reels, always bought on sale and usually 5 or more bearings. With care most last 3 years or more if not no big loss and I get to go find a new one. For rods I like to go to the big fishing shows you can find some pretty good deals on name brand blemeished or 2nds which are usually not performance issues. Also you can find some of the smaller shops with their own labels that have great quality at good prices.

Comment

Your choices are nice, but if all you have ever used is junk I wouldn't suggest that nice of stuff, I use misy tide masters but I have one avid and I like the tide master, also I have two Calcutta 400 b and one of them is 8 years old never cleaned and is still like brand new

Comment

Working...
              X