POST What was your single greatest day on the Kayak in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POST What was your single greatest day on the Kayak in 2013

It's that time of year when not much is going on Kayaking wise, so I thought about posting our single most best day on the Kayak this year.

Mine was after learning and applying a technique on catching Red Drum that was posted from one of our members Ronault. I remember the feeling I had at the end of the day. I was loading up at point Lookout State park and the Sunset made me say to myself "I Can't believe I'm doin this SH#T"!!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by scorpioreno; 12-16-2013, 05:24 AM.

Kipto red drum cast after cast with Sun and Chex. Actually that best ever but a close second was thomas point striper with matt and shane.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

This spring on a favorite pon in Delaware when my son figured out why I let him cast to the 'GOOD PLACES' first and knowing he appreciated it!

IMG_20130401_131954_099.jpg

Comment

For me, I have two. First being the day my son (4 years old) said to me "Dad, can we go fishing in your boat (kayak)?" Super proud!!! and we went to the lake right away. My other day was when I plucked out a 19" smallie from the Potomac. It was a new PB, and had my heart racing the entire float!

Comment

Single best day is really difficult to pick...

The single best sentimental kayak trip this year was my kayak fishing trip with my son and my dad at Pt Lookout. We caught a bunch of dinner plate-sized croaker, and my dad turtled the kayak with my son on his lap. I will never forget that trip.

The best kayak fishing trip this year was my HRBT/Kipto trip that Shady mentioned. I got my first light-line striper at HRBT, and the next morning for the first time ever I got tired of catching fish with 20" - 26" red drum at Kipto. I will never forget that trip either.
          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Best day of striper fishing I've had...

That, and the day I caught my black drum at CBBT
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

My best single day was not exactly in 2013, but was Dec 15, 2012. I launched at Jonas Green on a cool morning and soon jigged up a 26" rockfish off of the nearby debris pile. I proceeded to one of my favorite pickerel spots and caught 19 pickerel in the next 2.5 hours. I was home in time for lunch.

Among my most enjoyable stretches of kayak fishing was three consecutive days in October in the Tampa area with guide Neil Taylor. I caught Speckled trout, Snook, Redfish, Spanish mackerel, Flounder, Jack crevalle, Gag grouper, Ladyfish, Needlefish, Lizardfish.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

This season was a bit different. So I guess, my best day was the day with 50-60 stripers at Thomas Point, with a few keepers mixed in. It is the same day of fishing that I posted a video.

There were several close seconds, including the CBKA tournament, with less fish but a better quality of fish.

Of course, all trips were rewarding, as I did catch and release 100% all year. With stripers, it may seem silly about catch and release, albeit contributing to the commercial catch. However, I just could not come to terms with keeping fish, when the overall bio mass of striped bass continues to drop. Besides, when they look up at me with those big brown eyes, before you know it, I am putting them back into the water.
                Last edited by DOGFISH; 12-16-2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Aug. 16, sitting just outside of Matapeake, fish weren't biting much, but as the sun went down, the sunset was just too beautiful to worry about much of anything.
                  Kayak Sunset 081613.jpg
                  Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Mine was my first trip out kayak fishing in my new-to-me kayak. It a single trip, I was hooked.
                    ---------------------------------
                    Mike Hossom
                    Olive Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

This was my first year kayak fishing and honestly it is hard to pick a best day. Many days were good regardless if the fish cooperated or not.

But our unofficial "Monday" group (On the fly, Raptor and occasionally John Veil, Nitefly and others) had several fine outings at Goodhands and Kent Narrows.

I recall one day where I caught 8 nice stripers and it seemed like every time we took a pass through the channel markers in the Narrows we hooked up.

KentNarrowsA.jpg KentA.jpg
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Catching this 19'' smallmouth out of the Susquehanna, probably the best fish I have ever caught, with the added bonus of my brother catching two keeper stripers the same day that we got to eat for dinner.
                        13.10.19Sus19InchSmallmouth.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by corey866 View Post
                          Catching this 19'' smallmouth out of the Susquehanna, probably the best fish I have ever caught, with the added bonus of my brother catching two keeper stripers the same day that we got to eat for dinner.
                          Sweet! That's gotta be about 5 pounds there. Nice fish.
                          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I had a few 10+ striper days on the Susquehanna Flats, but I can definitely remember my worst day on the kayak. A few of us were fishing CHSP for flounder, and I accidentally drifted into the pier fisherman lines. They are slowly extending the pier and I did not realize how close they can cast to the broken pilings. At one point, I had three different lines wrapped around my spare rods. It was a very awkward and helpless moment. I pi$$ed off a few fisherman that day, but amazingly I only had to cut off one hook of one of their rigs...not too bad. I stayed FAR away from the pier the rest of the day!
                            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

My greatest day was not my best day of fishing. It was my favorite place. Lower Hooper's Island trip with Chexone....too windy to fish some spots, caught a few but nothing hot, but my favorite location and good company. Did not want to go home.
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                              X