Anyone Heading Out This Sat..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Heading Out This Sat..

Supposed to be 60+ this saturday.. I'm gonna try to get out for for a while, figured I would ask if anyone else was doing the same? Not sure where I'm going yet, so I'm open to suggestions..

Considering heading out to lake anna.. A few recent reports are claiming good striper and crappie..
    Last edited by OVERBOARD; 12-17-2013, 09:20 PM.
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Might head down to Norfolk again, but long term forecast is looking pretty windy. Might still do it and try the high rise or cove back in the ER even if the wind is blowing. Otherwise, I will fish somewhere up this way if I don't make the trip. Maybe Harry Nice bridge or or SPSP if wind is not blowing hard? If the wind is blowing up here, I'm not sure...maybe try Occoquan for some crappie.

Comment

I won't have time for norfolk area this weekend.. Harry Nice could be a possibility, still intrigued by lake anna too though.
      2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I am thinking about Kipto and Cape Charles area. But the forecast calls for 2-3 feet waves and on the windy side as JohnE said. I am waiting for some advice from Memorymaker to make up my mind.

Comment

I dealt with the wind and waves last time i was in the bay.... looking for something a little bit calmer this time if possible. If the fishing reports were good I would consider the CBB, harry nice, or similar. I don't want to travel more than an hour and a half or so, since i have to be back in the afternoon by 4 or so. I just figured that in LA i could troll or live line for striper for a while and if it was slow i would switch over to jigging or minnows to try LM or crappie.
          2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by hobieadventure View Post
            I am thinking about Kipto and Cape Charles area. But the forecast calls for 2-3 feet waves and on the windy side as JohnE said. I am waiting for some advice from Memorymaker to make up my mind.
            Current forecast for Sat is 13 to 15 mph winds, but you should find some shelter behind the ships with wind out of that direction. Not much going on there lately, but you might get lucky. I'm leaning towards staying up this way and hoping for lighter winds next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by OVERBOARD View Post
              I dealt with the wind and waves last time i was in the bay.... looking for something a little bit calmer this time if possible. If the fishing reports were good I would consider the CBB, harry nice, or similar. I don't want to travel more than an hour and a half or so, since i have to be back in the afternoon by 4 or so. I just figured that in LA i could troll or live line for striper for a while and if it was slow i would switch over to jigging or minnows to try LM or crappie.
              Not sure how the fishing is going to be at CBB or Harry Nice, but conditions are not going to be calm on Saturday at either location. Pretty breezy, but the winds might lay down a bit Sat afternoon at CBB.

Comment

Originally posted by hobieadventure View Post
                ......... I was waiting for your phone call to discuss it but here goes ..........

Your PM said 2-3 ft tides ......... 2 - 3 ft waves are doable but it depends how far apart they are on the open bay but not much more and remember ........ forecasts down there are about 25% reliable and things change fast. Unless it's calm I'd stay close to the ships. Winds from the west mean bigger waves in the bay, winds from the east mean bigger waves oceanside but the barrier islands help some. Winds from the north is bad for everyone except some rivers on the Norfolk side. Winds from the south are usually ok especially on the norfolk side. There is usually somewhere to fish down there.

If I were fishing, I would hit the channel edges and drift eels from Cape Charles to Kipto but watch out for the fleet. Night is usually better for around the net poles south of the ships ......... ships can be good too if they turn on but there are usually a ton of yakers there.

This year has been bad for most .......... fleet of boats not catching but a few did get some. Check out Kayak Kevins site. 1 guy in their group got a 46" er at night. Pinch got a real nice 1 with Walleye Pete but the vast majority are getting skunked. There was also a report of the Stripers still a little below OC so who knows ...... it could still happen especially if the warming trend this weekend continues and the bay temps inch up. There are reports of alot of bait so that is a good sign and they are catching some fair numbers in VA just south of PLO with most in the 20 's and 30's from boats .......

I probably won't even go down there this year. I didn't fish when I went down there the last couple of years because they weren't there in catchable numbers in places accessable by a yak and the weather. This year so far seems to be worse.

That's my assessment but don't let me talk you out of it ....It could still turn on and if the temps get and stay milder, they could stay .... I watch a bunch of stuff and I have spent a bunch of time down there but I'm no expert. Pinch, Shady, Tuffnik and a bunch of other people are better sources.

Oh ..... and I've heard the Tog bite has been very good for some around the bridge pilings.

Well ........ good luck and Merry Christmas.

Comment

The forecast for temperatures is tempting... but that wind is discouraging.
                  I'm itching to get out but I think it will be too windy on open waters like the Potomac and the Bay.

Might just paddle around Mattawoman Creek in Indian Head.
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

That's kinda how I feel too. I'm looking for something somewhat sheltered
                    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I'm also very interested in getting on the water somewhere in the SOMD areas. I was considering headed out of Solomons tomorrow to hunt for some white perch but the forecast is south-west winds. I'm not sure how good or bad it might be there yet. Last year about this time a few of my buddies and I caught some nice fish. Let me know if any if you all are trying to hook up somewhere, I'm interested in getting my yak we soon. I'm ashamed to admit it but I haven't landed a keeper on my Pro Angler yet. This time last year I was boating a lot of rockfish on my big boat, kind of sad. I'm having trouble adjusting to yak fishing but need to put some time in to figure out the different techniques.
                      Live for today, and fish often...
                      2014 Pro Angler 14
                      St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

Originally posted by Jambone View Post
                        I'm also very interested in getting on the water somewhere in the SOMD areas. I was considering headed out of Solomons tomorrow to hunt for some white perch but the forecast is south-west winds. I'm not sure how good or bad it might be there yet. Last year about this time a few of my buddies and I caught some nice fish. Let me know if any if you all are trying to hook up somewhere, I'm interested in getting my yak we soon. I'm ashamed to admit it but I haven't landed a keeper on my Pro Angler yet. This time last year I was boating a lot of rockfish on my big boat, kind of sad. I'm having trouble adjusting to yak fishing but need to put some time in to figure out the different techniques.
                        The weather is starting to look up. The latest report I've seen is calling for 7mph winds coming from the south. Not bad, but Soloman's is on the north side of the Patuxent there, so it will probably be a bit choppy. Of course Mill Creek is well protected.
                        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Anybody decide on a spot to fish tomorrow? I decided to stay up in Nova for the weekend, but would like to fish somewhere. Looks pretty rough all around out in the bay and Potomac. Looking for something within about 90 minutes of Fairfax.

Comment

same here bud.. I don't care where it is but I am definitely going somewhere. Someone pick a spot and tell me where to be.. I don't know enough about the area to pick anything good here locally..
                            2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Not looking good. Would like to try the wwd at Harry Nice, but probably a little rough. Small craft advisory going into effect at noon tomorrow. Thinking about trying Occoquan for some Crappie. Might as well, it is just right down the road from me.

Comment

Working...
                              X