Christmas came early - Slayer Propel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas came early - Slayer Propel

I ordered my new Native Watercraft Slayer Propel last month. Local kayak fishing guide, Chris Dollar drove to the Native factory last week to bring back boats for his own inventory. He brought my new kayak with him. I drove to Chris's shop in Centreville, MD this morning to pick it up. It came wrapped in a big black cloth bag -- I hoped that I wouldn't get stopped on the way home for transporting a dead body.

I unloaded the boat into my garage, unwrapped it, and set up all the standard parts. Although Native offers a wide range of colors, including some new multi-color patterned designs, I wanted to maximize my visibility on the water and ordered the boat in Road Cone Orange (it definitely is orange).

Here are some photos. The hull is 13 ft long. Instead of the typical handles found on most kayaks, this boat has rigid metal handles covered with dense foam. This makes carrying more comfortable. Seating is an elevated "lawn-chair" style seat with adjustable backrest. The seat fits into a gear track so it can easily be slid forward or backward to the desired position. There is lots of storage space behind and underneath the seat for tackle trays, water bottles, etc.

001.jpg 002.jpg 004.jpg

The roomy rear section is open with adjustable bungees to hold items in place. The bow section comes as an open well. I purchased the optional well cover. I will experiment with and without the cover to see how I prefer the usability.

003.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

There are numerous gear tracks on this kayak -- two in the rear well, two in the front well, and two longitudinal plus three lateral ones in the cockpit. I look forward to customizing my FF/GPS position and installing a variety of rod holders.

This kayak comes with lots of scupper holes. The front well has one, the rear well has two, and the main cockpit has six. You can see from the photo that these scupper holes are considerably larger in diameter than the ones I have seen on other models. They come standard with heavy duty, flanged scupper plugs for a tight seal.

005.jpg 008.jpg

The most intriguing feature of the Slayer Propel is its Propel drive. This unit features pedals that move in a bicycle pedaling motion and drive a two-bladed propeller under the hull. When launching, the Propel unit is tilted up. After reaching deep enough water, the black cover on the floor is lifted after loosening a bungee cord, then the propeller unit is pivoted down into the water. The black cover is reattached to keep the Propel firmly in position.

012.jpg 013.jpg
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 12-23-2013, 04:33 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Here are a few more photos. The first is the hole in the floor for lowering the Propel. The other photo shows the handle to the left of the seat that controls the rudder.

014.jpg 015.jpg

I am eager to try out the Propel Drive. I am not sure how well I will be able to work the pedals with my heavy boots or my waders. If that proves to be a problem, I will need to wait until April to fish with regular foot gear.
    John Veil
    Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Looks great John. Can't wait to see it in action.

Comment

That is great looking kayak can't wait to see it in the water.

Comment

Really nice John! I like all the pre installed gear trax. Have you decided on the first round of the rigging process? How is the rudder assembly? Did not see it in the photos.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Definitely cool looking. The specifics of the prop design intrigues me, especially when compared to the standard prop on the Motor Guide troller I mount on my canoe. I assume that the propel unit does not pivot and all changes in direction of the kayak is done by rudder? You being a wperch and pickerel guy, I bet you will find reverse to be very handy when you need to back out from between close piers. I use reverse a lot for several applications when out in my canoe.
            Last edited by HJS; 12-23-2013, 11:35 PM.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Sweet looking craft.
              Sure is bright enough!
              The seating position looks much more comfortable than most SOT kayaks I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                Really nice John! I like all the pre installed gear trax. Have you decided on the first round of the rigging process? How is the rudder assembly? Did not see it in the photos.
                I will probably put two Scotty 438 gear track head units and Scotty spinning rod holders on the tracks along the cockpit. My initial thoughts are to to put standard Scotty fixed mount base units on either side behind the seat and use Scotty spinning rod holders with them too. That is how I have my Manta Ray rigged. I plan to use the same Lowrance LMS 527 color FF/GPS unit on the new kayak. I bought a second transducer and power cord for the unit. This will allow me to move the screen unit back and forth, depending on which kayak I use on a trip.

Before installing any rodholders that require drilling, I like to sit in my kayak, place the rod holders where I think I want them, then see how easily I can reach them from my seat. When your seat is permanently fixed in one position that can be done in the basement at home. But there are a variety of moving parts on the new Slayer Propel. The seat has more than a foot of sliding range (front to back). I will need to be in the water with the Propel unit down to see where my best comfort point is for the seat. At that point, I can determine the optimal location for the rod holders, and drill holes for base units as needed. This will take some time -- I don't plan to rush into it. At this point I don't know where I will install the FF/GPS.

Regarding the rudder, it is about 5" by 11" and located near the stern. Here are two photos showing the rudder. The lever shown previously is connected to two stainless steel cables that move the rudder. My recollection from the 10-minute test ride I made at Lewes last month is that the rudder is very effective in turning the boat.

016.jpg 017.jpg
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                  The specifics of the prop design intrigues me, especially when compared to the standard prop on the Motor Guide troller I mount on my canoe. I assume that the propel until does not pivot and all changes in direction of the kayak is done by rudder?
                  You are correct. The prop is fixed in place. Turning is done by the rudder. As much as I love my Manta Ray 14, one weakness is that it does not pivot easily. As you noted, I do fish a lot in shallow water and often need to reposition. Hopefully the forward and reverse and a good rudder will make that easier. Of course, I will always carry a paddle to help out when needed.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Beautiful boat, John. Can't wait to see you in action in it.

Now comes the fun part of rigging it to your liking. I'm sure you'll turn it into a mega-fish magnet.

Merry Christmas!
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice Boat John. Being able to reverse is great. That seat looks comfortable Let us know how it feels. As far as using waders or boots on the pedals should not be a problem because you don't have toe straps on the pedals. My question is how deep can you fish before you have to raise the pedals?

Comment

Sweet ride!!! When is the christening?

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioreno View Post
                          My question is how deep can you fish before you have to raise the pedals?
                          One of the other Native Pro Staff guys who has had his Slayer Propel for a while posted that he can get into 1.2 ft water depth. I don't want to push my luck and damage the Propel unit quickly by running it aground.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by russ498 View Post
                            Sweet ride!!! When is the christening?
                            I would like to get out sometime this week, but will need to watch the wind and weather forecasts. The center of gravity is much higher on the Slayer than on my Manta Ray. I don't want to be out in high winds or big waves until I get comfortable with the feel of the boat.

I had ordered a special kayak cart with a raised piece that fits into the Propel opening in the hull. Native forgot to send it with the boat. I will need to pick my opportunities where I have a short and easy transfer from my minivan to the water until they ship it to me.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

Beauty - you're going to love it - propel drive is awesome for fishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X