Humminbird Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humminbird Resolution

Quick question... Does the screen size on the Humminbird units affect the view?

ie.... would the graphics on a large screen like the 598ci look any larger than the graphics on the 386ci?
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

My budget says I should get the 386ci and mount it like this...

FF Mount.jpg

But I'm worried that with a screen the size of smartphone I won't be able to read it.

What do you think?

Comment

My suggestion is to get the biggest screen you can afford below the 11 inch screen size. A small screen is better than no screen ........ just have to mount it closer.

Comment

One thing to consider on screen size. On a Humminbird the information on the "very right hand edge" is the current sonar information (what is directly below the transducer). Everything to the left of that edge is sonar "history". Vertical resolution helps in defining items. At kayak speeds how much "history" do you need on your screen?

Also, since we are talking fish finders on kayaks, generally you have the unit mounted within arms reach. You are not trying to read the unit from the deck of a bass boat where you might be much further away from the screen.
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Small screen humminbirds have always worked for me. 170, 190c, to the current 386ci DI. Not discrediting the utility and convenience of the bigger screens, just saying what has worked for me.
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I guess another point to consider these days is if you intend to spend most your time with a split screen (like sonar on one half and down imaging, GPS or chart plotting on the other half). In that case a bigger screen would probably be worth the extra cost.
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I really like the 7" screen the smaller screen was ok but the larger screen is easier to see at a glance

Comment

I went with a larger screen, mostly for use of split screen. I used a 385 and 386 for several years. However, the larger screen of the 597 is better for my old eyes. I agree with buying the largest screen you can afford.

Comment

I wear glasses for distance so the bigger the better

Comment

I have the 798 and I spend a lot of time in split screen mode. I personally wouldn't go smaller than that size. I'd like it to be even bigger but it starts getting ridiculous on a kayak. It depends on your financial and fishing situation, but the chances are this will be the last FF you'll buy for a long time and if you fish a lot, there's no debating a larger screen is better...I don't hear anyone saying "I wish I got a smaller one" (eh, I hope that didn't come out wrong )

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Guess it wasn't exactly a "quick question".
                      Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                      My suggestion is to get the biggest screen you can afford below the 11 inch screen size. A small screen is better than no screen ........ just have to mount it closer.
                      Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                      ...the larger screen of the 597 is better for my old eyes. I agree with buying the largest screen you can afford.
                      Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                      I wear glasses for distance so the bigger the better
                      Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      there's no debating a larger screen is better...I don't hear anyone saying "I wish I got a smaller one" (eh, I hope that didn't come out wrong )

My eyes aren't too bad. I only need glasses for reading about 75% of the time (sometimes just turning on another light does the trick). Just was a little worried about spending all that money and ending up looking at a fuzzy screen.

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                      One thing to consider on screen size. On a Humminbird the information on the "very right hand edge" is the current sonar information (what is directly below the transducer). Everything to the left of that edge is sonar "history". Vertical resolution helps in defining items. At kayak speeds how much "history" do you need on your screen?
                      Good point Turtle135, that in itself makes the small screen more attractive.

Just found out that even if I can get the 386ci for $260 I'll still have to shell out another $200 for the Navonics card (ouch). Probably time to visit BPS to get a look at the included UniMap. Not sure I really need depth charts when I've got sonar.

Comment

A large screen doesn't make the image fuzzy. You are not dealing with the same amount of pixels. The large screen has alot more pixels than the small screen. In fact they may even have a higher definition than the smaller screens. You probably should go somewhere and look at them. Also, you can find deals on the mapping cards if you look on ebay or some othere sites.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                          Just was a little worried about spending all that money and ending up looking at a fuzzy screen.
                          Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                          A large screen doesn't make the image fuzzy. You are not dealing with the same amount of pixels. The large screen has alot more pixels than the small screen. In fact they may even have a higher definition than the smaller screens. You probably should go somewhere and look at them. Also, you can find deals on the mapping cards if you look on ebay or some othere sites.
                          Sorry if I was confusing. By "fuzzy", I was referring to how the small screen might look if I couldn't see it well.

Thanks for the tip on looking for the map cards used. Didn't think of that. Going to set up a Google Alert for Craigslist right now.

Comment

Depends on how much you want from your unit. IMO, the small screens are ok if you just want bottom information, but if you want to go with DI, SI and GPS capabilities and splitting the screen rather than switching views regularly, than bigger is definitely better. I started with a 798 and very quickly changed out to an 898 which I think is ideal for a kayak. I have seen the 998 on one or two kayaks and I think they are just a bit big and pose a small problem with location due to it. Personally I like the SI capability, even on a kayak, and my reason for a larger unit.
                            HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

I like the larger screens around 5 inches. You get higher definition, the screen is easier for me to see. I have the Navionics charts, so the larger screen allows me to see the contours and direction of the holes since my unit has GPS. I also use the split screen for the current depth information and I have the GPS on. So, for how I use my fishfinder, the larger screen is better for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X