So you are thinking OFFSHORE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you are thinking OFFSHORE

We have done two mothership trips out of Hatteras for Pelagic fish this week. We had banner days catching hard fighting Black-fin Tuna, Amber-jacks, King Mackerel and False albacore. SOUNDS AMAZING RIGHT?!? In this post I am going to try to convey the skills that you as a kayak angler will should be proficient at BEFORE ATTEMPTING an offshore mothership excursion.

Good Balance- Offshore even in good weather there is going to be some solid rollers. In our case we had 2-3' rollers. I know what you are thinking, 2-3' is nothing and I have been in worse than that. Imagine hooking into a Volkswagen 150' below your kayak doing everyhthing in your power to play the fish without flipping your kayak while dealing with quartering rollers off your stern. Rollers also become an issue when getting in and out of the boat into your kayak. The freeboard at the stern of the boat we used was 3-4' you have to have the balance and coordination to hang off the side of the boat, stand in your yak and sit quickly without falling into the shark infested water.

Sharks- Yes, lots and lots of 6-10' sharks (some bigger) They get close and eat 80% of the fish you hook into. I had a fish wrap my mirage drive and then get eaten by a 9' shark. The braided line cut my drive like butter and I was lucky that I saw and knew what was happening and was able to free spool and cut my line to avoid swimming. I had another shark grab a fish right next to the yak. In the video you see the fin and the tail smack off of my yak. It is also not just one shark here or one shark there, there are literally hundreds of them.

Quick thinking- While fishing off shore you need to be able to react to situations quickly knowing how and what to do because even though the boat and your buddies are nearby things get bad QUICKLY.

Landing large fish
    - Be comfortable landing 30-50'' fish with a face full of teeth flailing 7-10oz vertical jigs and or having 2 treble hooks stuck to their face. The fish do not like being the kayak. You will need to be able to hook, fight and land fish on your own. It is to dangerous for the boat to try and come help you.

Entry and Re-entry- If you can not get into your kayak from water deeper than your head DO NOT GO OFFSHORE. The probabillity that you are going swimming is high especially when getting in and out of the boat.

Heavy Lifting- As the mothershipped angler you will need to assist in the loading and unloading of kayaks into the boat. PACK AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE, keep the yaks light. You should be physically able to lift, and drag your kayak and the kayaks that your buddies are bringing.

Back up gear-
    Bring and extra paddle, gaff, bat, mirage drive if you can, and gear to fix any issue with your yak that might end your fishing day. Rudder cables, wrenches, bilge pumps. You never know what you will lose or if a shark is going to rip off you mirage drive fins (Luckily I had a back up drive with me)

Matt or Mike if you have any more tips post them up.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Great post. Thanks. It looks cool but I can see it's a different world out there.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Good info Jack. People really do need to consider the skills needed to do that type of fishing. That being said, it looks like a blast and it will definitely be on my list to do in the future!
      Shane
      Hobie Outback

Comment

Don't go chasing albacore, please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to!

Just kidding, but one should seriously think before attempting to do this!
        Last edited by Slap; 01-02-2014, 09:00 PM. Reason: MIKE ROSA CENSORED ME

Comment

I give a lot of credit to those hearty individuals who fish offshore from kayaks. At my age and flexibility level, I will leave that to the younger, more fit guys. If I do target pelagic species, it will be from a substantial power boat.

Congratulation guys for pushing your limits, catching great fish, and returning safely.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sharks? Really? Even pickerel with their toothy mouths worry me.

This sounds like a trip for the young guys under 60!

Kudos to all who are fit and courageous enough to go and good luck to those who do.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Good list... I'm surprised the charter doesn't make you pass some sort of test before you launch! It's definitely on my bucket list!

Comment

Probably a pretty extensive waiver you have to sign.
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

REALLLLY... what don't you get.... lots of laughs....

Comment

I see talk of a video but no video? Am I blind?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...hread-01-01-14

There are three vids in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap View Post
                        http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...hread-01-01-14

There are three vids in the thread.
                        Thanks I always forget there are other sub forums other than the ones under "Maryland Kayak Fishing"

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Working...
                        X