Tying Flies on a Snowy Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying Flies on a Snowy Day

I usually don’t tie flies during the fishing season. I tie during the winter. Today’s snow put me in the mood to finish a few flies I had started earlier and to make a few new ones.

I actually started with foam poppers early this week. I glued the hooks in place and painted their eyes before attaching tails. These flies below are for stripers. They’re very simple but the stripers don’t care if a fly is elaborate or not. They see movement and strike. I use bucktails on them because they hold up to abuse better than feathers.

G.jpg H.jpg

This popper is for fresh water. I used a marabou tail and added rubber legs. I like rubber legs on them because I fish them slower than I fish striper poppers. I think the action of the marabou in the water and the subtle movement of the rubber legs entices largemouth and smallmouth bass to strike.

A.jpg

These two flies are crystal buggers that I made this morning. They’re very easy to tie and will catch stripers and white perch. I cast them with floating line in shallow water near structure or I can use sinking line in deeper water.

C.jpg B.jpg

The following flies are also two I made this this morning. They’re Clouser minnows in two different styles. “On the Fly” of Snaggedline showed me a Clouser at the CBKA tournament tied with all the hair on the underside of the hook. Supposedly they hold up better than the traditional way of tying them with hair on the top and bottom of the hook. Here is my first attempt at the new method.

E.jpg

Here is a traditional Clouser.

F.jpg

I must say the new way is a bit harder for me but I’ll catch on with practice.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Those are awesome. I just bought a TFO 9wt to use this season on the kayak and I may make up some big streamers. I already tied up some chartruese slumpbusters for stipers. Now I need to figure out what will hit on a fly every month. Like bluefish etc..
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Clousers are good all season and they'll work when bluefish arrive. But they won't last long. You might get only a couple of blues per fly.

Make some poppers for stripers in the fall.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Beautiful work, Mark.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Mark - Nice looking flies. I bet those crystal buggers would work well for Susky yperch this winter. Sometimes those yperch are in really deep water. So you might have to forgo a fly rod for a spinning/casting rod and use the buggers as dropper flies above 1oz or 2oz sinkers. Maybe work a little smelly jelly into the bodies as farther enticement.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

They look great Mark!! Funny, I just finished making a few more feather spinners today also. Once I get a bunch, I will probably had them out as gifts during a M&G...I have no intentions of selling. It's very rewarding work. I watched a few tying videos on youtube and the quality of work just blows my mind. Fly fishing is now on my bucket list! Other than stripers, I am a panfish guy...I think I would enjoy it.
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I grew up, or close faximile to it, fly fishing on my local lake to bluegills, perch, crappie, etc. The nice thing was you didn't need to rebait so the catching was much faster. There is nothing like a bluegill snatching a fly off the surface or getting tired bringing crappie in on a minnow pattern.
              PigPen - Mt Airy
              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Fantastic work, Mark. I like the crystal buggers - I think a pattern like that would work well for the spring shad run on the potomac

Comment

JC's Electric Caddis Pupa.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

All,

Thank you for the nice comments. I have no doubt those crystal buggers would work for yellow perch and shad. In addition to white perch and stripers, I've caught smallmouth, largemouth, bluegills and crappie with them.

Cowpokey - nice job on the caddis pupa. I fish mainly warm water but I have used homemade wooly buggers, elk hair caddis and green meanies successfully in the Yellow Breeches.

Pigpen - You mentioned how fast you were catching pan fish on the fly. I know what you mean. I can definitely cover water faster with a fly rod than casting with traditional gear. I can lift my line up and put it pack into the same strike zone or one nearby in an instant. No need to wind up all the line on a bait caster or spinning reel before sending it back out.

But fly rodding has its limitations too. I like my bait casters and spinning rods also.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Woolly buggers and elk hair caddis are two of my favorite flies for warm and cold water.

Those crystal buggers should work well for shad this spring. Try adding some weight to them, just need to get them down a little bit when using a floating line.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X