No announcement yet.

does anyone here pass over the Tidal Occoquan on a daily basis? regarding ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone here pass over the Tidal Occoquan on a daily basis? regarding ice

Does anyone here pass over the Tidal Occoquan on a daily basis? Was looking for an ice free spot to fish this weekend. My local reservoir (Clopper Lake in Seneca Creek State Park) is locked up in ice at the moment.

Thanks in advance!
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

This morning there was a bit near the marina to the east of nb I 95. It didn't look too bad. I can check tomorrow morning again for you.
    2016 Ascend FS12T
    Pelican Apex 100

Comment

Originally posted by Kidnikarus View Post
      This morning there was a bit near the marina to the east of nb I 95. It didn't look too bad. I can check tomorrow morning again for you.
      Thanks Kidnikarus! Just looking to get the kayak into some open water (which from your observation sounds like it should be doable by the weekend).
      Dave

Comment

Anybody have a chance to catch a look at the ice on the occoquan?

Comment

It is almost totally clear. A little towards belmont bay. I was planning to take a photo this morning from 95 but for some strange reason traffic was lite. Not sure how the back of the river is. Are you planning on going for perch?
          2016 Ascend FS12T
          Pelican Apex 100

Comment

Thanks for the update Kidnikarus!

p.s. - I'm going to be targeting largemouth bass.
            Dave

Comment

I just need out of the house..bad, real bad hah

Thinking crappie, deep jigging bass and maybe some perch, maybe some flathead live linin... this sunday most likely, weather pending

If you guys are there, we should definitely cruise around

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                If you guys are there, we should definitely cruise around
                I'm headed over there tomorrow. It is supposed to rain all day but I have not been in the kayak since New Years Day. If I can find the bass will probably head back over on Sunday. At any rate, will report back on what the conditions are like.
                Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave! Wondering also what the river will look like after all of this rain

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                    Thanks, Dave! Wondering also what the river will look like after all of this rain
                    I'm hoping not too off color. Muddy and cold can be a tough prescription for largemouth bass. I'm guessing since the water is pulling from the reservoir that it should not be too bad.
                    Dave

Comment

update on the water conditions from today

water was 39 to 40 degrees, the water color was not what I was hoping for, I was bass fishing with a black & blue bass jig and I could not see that lure more than 10 to 12 inches down, the additional rain from today will not help that situation

did not catch any bass today, vertically jigged a blade bait under the I-95 bridge for a few minutes and caught a sunfish, saw good numbers of fish on the fish finder near the deeper docks (mostly suspended 7-10 feet down over 20 feet of water or deeper)
                      Dave

Comment

I wondered if you made it out today Dave. As I drove around Columbia today in a downpour, I told my son that I'm sure you were out there. Nice job avoiding zthe skunk.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                          I wondered if you made it out today Dave. As I drove around Columbia today in a downpour, I told my son that I'm sure you were out there. Nice job avoiding zthe skunk.
                          Mother Nature at her finest today! I thought the lightning and the thunder was a nice touch!
                          Dave

Comment

That is complete determination right there. Glad you dodged a skunk. Thanks for the report, Dave

I've been watching the NOAA river water levels...doesn't look too promising...probably going to take the family to the aquarium instead tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                            X