Newbie here, wanted to say hi and ask question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here, wanted to say hi and ask question

Looking at buying a kayak this spring. Got it down to 2 choices. Ride 115/135, or the Predator. I'll be doing mostly fly fishing, , not all, on still water/slow moving. Obviously standing will be an issue, but I think both boats look comparable.

what I am wondering about is consoles/hatches, and snagging?

Anybody have any issues with the Ride? Anybody have any issues with the Predator 113?

Looks like the Predator has the advantage, when it comes to cockpit openess...being able to tip the seat back.

thanks

and not sure if there are any other members from Alberta here, but hopefully I will be able to show you guys some great pics/vids this season.

I do quite a bit of riding up to those "inaccesible" lakes too.

I cannot address either ride you mentioned but I can tell you that a few line snarls are inevitable no matter how much you prepare to avoid them.

I strip line so that it falls on the deck between my legs or I let it flow in the water beside the boat. Also, being right-handed I generally cast to the left side of the kayak. I therefore put my paddle on the right side to avoid hanging line on the paddle. I keep my pliers and fish griper on the left but I make sure the handles are below the gunnel. As you know, if there is something to tangle on, your line will find it.

As to standing, you likely will not miss it. Any desired distance you lose by not standing can be made up by the approach the kayak allows. Just drift or paddle closer to your target. I can toss big poppers and heavy streamers 40 to 50 feet while seated and that's plenty of distance for most fishing situations.

Welcome to Snaggedline. You certainly have some beautiful countryside to fish in.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I think there should be a M&G in Alberta!
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Welcome to the forum.. wonder if you can "rig" your horse to fish from it...

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
          I think there should be a M&G in Alberta!
          I'm with Runnin!!! Great photos! Can't speak for the Predator, but I do have a Ride 115. I used it all year without a rudder, and just a month ago, I added the rudder and have been out twice. Already I can see a big difference in tracking. So, with the Ride 135 that extra length can help with tracking. I mostly fish the rivers, so I like having the shorter boat, but for the lakes, bay, and larger parts of the river the rudder is going to help out big time. If you plan on going for a Ride, I highly recommend the high seat. At first it might feel tippy, but trust me, the boat is VERY stable. You won't tip unless you really force it, but same goes for most kayaks. Also if you plan on standing, the high seat for the Ride makes it much easier. I started with the standard seat, then went to the high seat. Big difference in comfort and ease of standing. Haven't fly fished from my kayak, but as Mark said, just gotta find the right technique that will work for you to avoid the tangles. Just my $.02. Hope it helps!

Comment

Working...
          X