Pickerel'n tomorrow on the Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickerel'n tomorrow on the Severn

Shane, my Dad and I are gonna chase some chains tomorrow around 11am-noon on the Severn.

Should be decent weather. Not sure where we are gonna launch either tucker st or Jonas green. Maybe we'll see some of you out there.

If the creeks are not iced over, I plan to get out this afternoon too.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

We checked ice conditions on the way to church this morning. At 8:00 am The Tucker St ramp and that portion of Weems was clear. It looked like some of the areas upstream from Rowe Blvd still had ice. Manresa Cove still had quite a bit of ice. Coming back across the Severn River Bridge at 60 mph at about 10:00 am, the Cove of Cork appeared to be ice free near the mouth, but ice covered further back.

I suspect there will be some fishable stretches in the Severn creeks, but not as much as I had hoped for. Good luck Matt and Shane.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

We got out today and fished up river from Weems. No love for 3 hours, not even a bite for me on live minnows. There was some ice in some of the coves we fished but I definitely would have thought we would have found some hungry pickerel around with 50 degree temperatures. John, have you fished since the really cold few days we had?
        Shane
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Shane and Matt - Sorry you did not find hungry fish today.

I launched out of Jonas Green about noon and met MKF member SpareChange (Richard) there. We fished a nearby tributary. As we arrived we found three anglers who had driven up in a power boat but were now wading. They told us they had caught a total of three pickerel -- they were limited to walking in water below their waist and casting out to deeper water. Richard and I each caught 4 pickerel there (he may have caught more since he stayed after I headed in). I used live minnows -- Richard used a spinner and some soft plastics. The bite was definitely slow. The area where we fished had 10-20% ice cover when we started. Part of that melted while we were out there.

My next fishing will be 4 days kayak fishing in Tampa Bay next weekend. I am eager to get out of waders and multiple layers and into sneakers and fishing pants again.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

My next fishing will be 4 days kayak fishing in Tampa Bay next weekend. I am eager to get out of waders and multiple layers and into sneakers and fishing pants again.
            John, have a great time in Florida! I exchanged a few emails with Neil today to set up my trip in March.
            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

John, it sounds like you and Richard definitely had better luck than Matt and I. Have fun in Florida!
              Shane
              Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
              X