I need serious advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need serious advice

I trust you guys wholeheartedly. So I've come to you with help on buying some new setups. I've always been a dead stick guy but I want to change that this year for good. I'm hoping you guys can recommend combos from basspro or somewhere I can get the rod and reel together. Also tell me what # test to use.
    1. What outfit do you recommend for using cranks mostly shallow and mid depth?
    2. What outfit do you recommend for jigging with soft plastics using jigheads 1/4 to 1oz?
    3. What outfit do you recommend for trolling deep divers?
    4. Is my 6'6" lure weight 1/4 to 5/8oz line weight 6-17# med heavy action fast rod with a 6940 pflueger spinning reel a good candidate for any of those
    I know I'm asking for a lot of advice but I don't know a better group to get help from. I'm budgeted $100-200 or less on each outfit
    Last edited by Mattybofmd; 01-16-2014, 02:12 AM.

I think it depends what you are targeting, and where you are fishing.

1 and 2 sounds very similar to my bass gear that I use on rivers and lakes. I like a basic 6.6 - 7' med action rod with a fast (cranks) , or xfast ( jigs) tip. I use either a baitcaster, or a 2500 series spinning reel.

For catfish: I like a Heavy action rod with 30lb Braid, I use a 6500 series spinning reel . I like about 7' long.

Deep divers and trolling I like a little heavier rod with a less fast action. My current favorite is a a 7' heavy action fiberglass rod. It bends all the way to the butt section, when trolling it sets the hook but doesn't pull from the fish.

Here's my selection of three rods I take out on most trips.

2500 series spinning reel 6.5 med action. 8-10 lb test.
    4000 series spinning reel 7' MH action 20lb
    6500 series spinning reel 7' H action 30lb test.

Many times depending on location I will switch out the heavy rod, and use a :

1500 series spinning reel 7' light action fast tip rod 6lb test. I like this rod for crappie and yellow perch, white perch. If I don't expect to encounter big cats, I really don't need the heavy rod.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I fish relatively light and medium priced conventional tackle. What I say below will address your first question.

My spinning rods and reels are similar to the one you mentioned except that they have medium to slow tips that help me cast 1/8oz to ¼ oz. lures – plastics and crankbaits. I also prefer 6.5 to 7 foot rods that allow me to reach in front of the kayak so that I can play a fish to the left side of the boat if necessary because that’s where I grab them. I run 8 pound mono on Mitchell 308 reels with 14 pound fluorocarbon leaders in the Bay.

I use bait cast rods for lures that are ½ oz. or more – again plastics and crankbaits. The rods are 6.5 or 7 feet medium action with Shimano Curado reels spooled with 12 pound mono. I like bait casters because I have more control with them than spinning reels and I can throw lures farther with them than spinning tackle.

My rods are graphite from St. Croix. All Star, and Lamiglass. Good but not high end.

All my tackle is for fresh water so I thoroughly clean it after each trip to the Bay.

I don’t jig and I troll mainly when moving from one spot to another. I prefer to cast to structure or designated areas. I don’t catch the big fish that I often see pictured here from folks who live line or fish deeper water. But I get my share of legal sized stripers and they’re fun on the above tackle.

I think the best thing you can do is to fish with the spinning combo you have (it's versatile) and assess its strengths and weaknesses for the kind of fishing you're doing most often from your kayak. Then add to that accordingly.

Good luck,
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
        I think it depends what you are targeting, and where you are fishing.

1 and 2 sounds very similar to my bass gear that I use on rivers and lakes. I like a basic 6.6 - 7' med action rod with a fast (cranks) , or xfast ( jigs) tip. I use either a baitcaster, or a 2500 series spinning reel.

For catfish: I like a Heavy action rod with 30lb Braid, I use a 6500 series spinning reel . I like about 7' long.

Deep divers and trolling I like a little heavier rod with a less fast action. My current favorite is a a 7' heavy action fiberglass rod. It bends all the way to the butt section, when trolling it sets the hook but doesn't pull from the fish.

Here's my selection of three rods I take out on most trips.

2500 series spinning reel 6.5 med action. 8-10 lb test.
        4000 series spinning reel 7' MH action 20lb
        6500 series spinning reel 7' H action 30lb test.

Many times depending on location I will switch out the heavy rod, and use a :

1500 series spinning reel 7' light action fast tip rod 6lb test. I like this rod for crappie and yellow perch, white perch. If I don't expect to encounter big cats, I really don't need the heavy rod.
        My rod mentioned is listed as a worm/jig rod but could it be used for cranks in its lure weight range? And if so then I need only to tackle to the other 2 outfits

Comment

One of my bait casters is a worming rod. But it throws crank baits just fine. It really depends on the action of the rod and your skill in using it, not what's written on it. Try your present rod for crank baits and see how it does. A rod builder told me that rod actions vary from what's stated on the rod from company to company. That's why it's good to hold them in your hand to see if they'll do the job you want regardless of their rating. Even the lure weight range written on rods is not absolute. You can deviate within reason.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Greetings from Atlanta!

For spinnerbaits and soft plastics I like a 7' MH fast rod. I recently picked up a 13 Fishing Black Omen MH Fast 7'1" that I absolutely love. For crankbaits and most topwater I use a 7'6" MH mod fast rod. I also picked up a bass pro shops pro qualifier baitcasting reel that is outstanding for the price point.

Comment

Your 6'6" rod would be ideal for jigging soft plastics, even though it says up to 5/8 it could easily hand 1oz. Just spool on some #15 power pro and tie on a #20-30 fluro leader. I personally like a moderate action rod for crankbaits, fast action will work but moderate takes some of the pressure off the treble hooks when a big fish is on. As for line I like #8-10 for spinning rods with lighter lures and #12-14 for casting rods with larger lures, either mono or fluro.

Comment

Working...
              X