Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireline Crystal??? Anybody use this stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireline Crystal??? Anybody use this stuff?

So I typically use straight braid (I'm not overly particular about the maker) on my heavier and/or trolling reels, and Vanish Fluorocarbon on my lighter reels. That said, I have been very interested by the Berkely Fireline Crystal. Interesting concept - invisible braid. The reviews seem to go from love to hate, as can be expected with just about any product. I was just wondering if anyone here had used it.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

I've used the stuff once. A few years ago when I started messing with braid. It didn't really do anything for me. Even though it's "invisible", I wouldn't substitute it for a good leader. If I'm not mistaken it's pretty course and makes a good bit of noise going through guides. I use Power Pro and it's my preferred brand. quiet, smooth and you can get some really great distance.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Comment

I've used fireline 5 years ago and won't again. 20# test and the line kept snapping on casts and left a residue on your hands. Might have been defective but doubt it.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Use it on my ultra lights for trout and perch, no complaint here but I do still use a flouro leader.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks, guys. Sounds like a nonstarter. Are there any other "clear" braided lines worth using?
          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I use Power Pro and it's my preferred brand. quiet, smooth and you can get some really great distance.
            I hear that a lot, so I tried some in 20# red (on spin gear) and found it anything BUT quiet, smooth or long casting. On the contrary, it was terribly stiff, rough, noisy (recoil guides) and I could not wait to strip it off my reels. I'm back with my Suffix 832, I've found no braid better. A lot of people obviously hold Power Pro braid in high regard and good for them, possibly I got a bad spool of line but it was pretty poor line IMO. As for the "clear/invisible" braids, I haven't tried them, I don't have the need as I fish mostly stained water. I prefer a line I can see as I am a line watcher and the high visibility greens work for me. In clear water situations I just add 3' for fluorocarbon leader.
            HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

Working...
            X