Low profile reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low profile reel

Looking to get a low profile reel. Not looking to spend a ton. I have way too many reels to justify an expensive addition. Do any of the low profile come with a clicker?
    Any suggestions other than the obvious curados and revos that are built for salt?
    Thanks
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

I've got a Quantum Accurist that has done pretty well for a season. It was $100. No clicker though. I don't like the Quantum cast controls, but if your thumb is more educated than mine or if you don't plan on casting much, it's a pretty decent reel for $100. Even the lightest setting takes off too much distance. I use it almost solely for jigging for stripers and flounder. The flipping switch is handy for where the depth chnages a lot.

Shawn Kimbro(chesapeakelighttackle.com) uses Bass Pro Pro Qualifier reels. I've looked at them in the store, and they seem pretty nice. They go on sale for around $80, or so, I think.

I will say that I think the Revo SX is worth the extra money. If you look on eBay, you can sometimes find last year's model or a slightly used model for $100-130. I've seen left handed models go for less than $100. I think the Revos have the best cast control and spool tension knob design (stupid detail, I know, but I think it's pretty water resistant and unlikely to fall off) of any low profile reel I've looked at. If they had a flipping switch, I think the'd be the best reel out there. I've gotten 2 or 3 seasons out of mine with minimal maintenance and absolutely no corrosion anywhere. Just my $0.02.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I know you said you were looking for a cheaper option but I really like the Revo's. I had a revo premier lefty (c-hawk has it now) and I have a revo inshore now. I miss the weight of the premier but I like the inshore for the overkill drag and less bearings to worry about. The premier definitely casts further and will cast lighter stuff. Anyway, if you do go cheaper, the quantum cabo's can be had for about $40 on eBay new in box and they are solid. The revo toro has a clicker, which I agree would be nice. Toro's also have more line capacity. I'm going to stick with my inshore and I think I'm going to get rid of some of the round reels I have.
      Used to fish more.

Comment

Pro-Qualifier all the way, best value out there. I own 3 now. I do have a Quantum Catalyst I like as well but really feel the Pro-Quals are built better.

My brother in law got a a revo SX for Christmas and I got a Pro-Qual. We compared both reels side by side and he decided he was going to return it and buy 2 Pro-Quals for the same price. The revo(at least his) had a bunch of slop in the spool, didn't feel nearly as smooth as the Pro-Qual. Haven't fished them in salt though....
        Digital Livewell

Comment

good thread guys. im going to bps today after work to get a new lowpro baitcaster. Revo S, pro qualifier, carbonlite, quantum kvd signature, or the extreme baitcast with the flippin switch??? anyone own any besides the pro quali's? Im goign to use it mainly for freshwater and use another baitcaster i have for LTJ. I have kinda have scratched the kvd off the list, i have a quantum now that just mysteriously feespools and i have one that is floating around the bay somewhere near hart miller island ( i think quantums are cursed)
          Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

so i got the revo. this will be my first abu. i spooled it with that new pline halo fluoro. i was really torn between that and the pro qualifier. for the money though, the qualifier is a great deal its on sale right now for
            79$ and i think you can get 15 off of that with the reel trade in program but tomorrow is the last day.
            Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Working...
            X