No announcement yet.

DNR limit on number of rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get what your saying Bignose about the cluster f' it can cause while charter trolling (and I agree charter trolling is a mega bore!), but to J.A.'s point, when not casting plugs in the surf I like to have different baits soaking next to different structure and cast at various lengths. If I'm on a wide open beach at Assateague, or Ocean City during the off-season for that matter, it didn't make sense why I'd have to be restricted to 3 rods all of a sudden. Your usually not catching fish at light's out speed soaking bait in the surf either so it's easy to manage all of them alone.

But like you said it's being retracted... moot point.
    Brian

Comment

I would not mind a reasonable restriction, knowing that many folks see any restrictions as "Government Intrusion".
      Perhaps a limit at docks or shore based fishing is within the realm of "reasonableness", i.e. private property owners, Excelon, for example, are allowed to restrict access, so why not usage?
      Public access areas, such as AI, or even Sandy Point, well, there is enough room there (maybe not SP). Nobody wants to see some beach hogs spread out over 100+ feet of shore line, seen that plenty of times at Conowingo……not to mention guys with heavy surf tackle casting over the heads of Shad fishermen, there. (and I've seen a couple of fights because of that, too).
      Like I said above, it makes little difference to me.
      It doesn't matter if you catch your limit using 1 rod or 15 rods, it's the limit that is the conservation issue, not how you reach it.

Comment

It gets a little crazy when I have a double take down on the kayak. I can't imagine three or four fish at once. However, I had to laugh at the one about the bluefish blitz. When I had my center console, I used to troll four rods, when out by myself. It was all out chaos when I would come across those schools of small bluefish. Rods tangled in the water, rods tangled in the boat, but great fun.

Comment

It's really a lot of "fun" when on the Charter Boat, we have 3 or 4 inexperienced anglers get hooked up at the same time.
          And they've been drinking.
          It's even more fun when one of the hookups is a cow nosed ray and it takes off across everyone else's lines.
          And you have a guy towing planer boards with a 30 rod spread headed straight at you.
          And there's a 2 foot chop.
          Now that's entertaining.

Those are the days when I earn my tip.

Comment

Working...
          X