Perception striker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perception striker?

Let me start off with I'm new to kayak fishing. That being said I'm looking to buy my first kayak and was wandering if anyone has seen or heard anything about the perception sport striker. It looks okay for the price. Just looking for information or any pointers.

What type of water do you plan to us it on? What kind of fishing do you do? 11' 6" long and 33" wide isn't best suited for distance.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Mostly ponds and smaller lakes. Maybe on occasion the mouth of the pax river. Really just whatever is around nas pax

Comment

Should work well for that. My first kayak was a $300 nine foot sit in. It got me out on the reservoirs, but it would spin like a top at the lightest breeze or just fishing a crank bait.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Yeah I got a 10 foot sit in right now. It's just to small. I'm 6'1 230 so it's not the ideal boat.

Comment

What is your "dream" kayak? Cause, that's what you should get. My wife always says, "get the best". It costs a lot at first, but you don't waste money settling for something less than what you really want. By the time you upgrade a time or two, you could have had two of the one you really wanted to start with.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Maybe the better question, "Is that your dream kayak?"
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                What is your "dream" kayak? Cause, that's what you should get. My wife always says, "get the best". It costs a lot at first, but you don't waste money settling for something less than what you really want. By the time you upgrade a time or two, you could have had two of the one you really wanted to start with.
                You better NEVER let that woman get away, or do anything to chase her away!!
                "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                  You better NEVER let that woman get away, or do anything to chase her away!!
                  She's been putting up with me for 18 years…I don't think I can get rid of her.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

It's more a cost vs use matter. Am I going to use a 2000$ yak anymore than 600$ one. Most of the time it'll be getting used with the family as a whole. So maybe once or twice during the week and on the weekends. I'm about as fair weather as they come too.

Comment

Originally posted by o4frontier View Post
                      It's more a cost vs use matter. Am I going to use a 2000$ yak anymore than 600$ one. Most of the time it'll be getting used with the family as a whole. So maybe once or twice during the week and on the weekends. I'm about as fair weather as they come too.
                      Do what make you happy. My point is, don't do it if there's a chance you will regret it, or really want something else. It's a good looking kayak, I'm sure I would have been happier with that than my first boat.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Ive switched through 5 other kayaks before i buckled down and bought a proangler. I shoulda did that in the first place. Buttt then i would have the older model. Nobody wants the older models the seat makes the kayak. So its a good thing i was upgrading so much, i kno alil more about other kayaks and what yak is good for what water.
                        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Sorry Jason but I have to disagree ......... I bought my second PA because I didn't like the new ones and wanted a backup ......... So ...... Different strokes.

Anyway ........ Buy what makes you the happiest ........ Try as many as you can. To me and Jason and Don and Kitkat and Russ and a bunch others ...... It's the Pro Angler .........

For Pinch and a bunch others it's the Revo ......... For Shady and Doc Irv it's the Outback ......... These are all Hobies

For a bunch others it's the paddle yaks ......... And another bunch it's the engines on the yaks ....... Gotta try em and see what floats YOUR boat ....... Good Luck in your search

For me it's the PA with a Torqeedo

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                            ........ Try as many as you can........ Gotta try em and see what floats YOUR boat .......
                            This is the absolute best advice you can get. As spring approaches the dealers will be breaking out the demos. Get out an try them.

What's great for one might be a problem for another. Or a kayak that looks perfect is unbearable to sit in for more than 20 minutes.

You started off right by coming to Snaggedline. Good info and good people here. After you get an idea of what you want then start shopping around dealers to find some who are demoing the kayaks in which you are interested.

I wanted something good for lakes, rivers, and the Bay. I also wanted something that could punch through the waves for a surf launch. My research and demos sent me on a quest for a good deal on a Ocean Kayak Trident 13. Right about the time I was ready to purchase I spotted a blow-out deal on an Ocean Kayak Torque. Only 10 inches longer than the Trident, its a great boat. The integrated motor gets me out and back quick and with the foot-controlled rudder trolling is hands-free. If I leave out the battery and replace the motor with the plug-in skeg, then I have a kayak that paddles just like the Trident 13.
                            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I don't see many reviews on it as of yet. It seems to be made for stability but may lack some speed. I don't particularly like the small forward hatch or the placement of the rod holders behind the seat. I think there are many other boats in that price range you should consider before jumping in.

Comment

Working...
                              X