New to the site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the site

I just wanted to say hi to everyone here. this is my second season in a kayak so im still a noob. lol. Im from Western Maryland and fish mostly for Smallmouth, Largemouth, Walleye, Muskie, Crappie, Channel cats and the casual Carp run. Not much Tidal fishing but I hope to start with some Snakehead this year. I look forward to talking with everyone and learning more about this great way of fishing I got "hooked" on.

Welcome aboard you already know it's an addicting sport two years into it. Check out some of the Meet & Greets every month a different place.
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks!! Im planning on adding some things to my kayak shortly. im thinking an anchor and trolley system will be first. Got any tips?? last year i just used a rope and a brush clamp to hold me to down trees. kind of annoying being so close but worked great for jigging for Crappie. lol. The meet and greets sound like a blast! ill have to make my way to some of them. Thanks again for the welcome.

Comment

Welcome to Snaggedline Jeston.

I used an anchor trolley for the first time early this week to hold position in shallow moving water. It was quite handy, especially when the fishing guide showed me some tips about its use. For example how to drop the anchor while moving to allow the momentum of the boat to place you in the desired position. One thing I found interesting is that he had trollies installed on both sides of the kayak. Moving the anchor from one side of the boat to the other made it easier to reverse my casting direction in the same general area because the kayak would pivot accordingly in the current. I never thought there would be an art to dropping a kayak anchor but there was.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark!! I havent thought of or seen 2 trolleys. thats a really good idea. now you got me rethinking this. lol where were you fishing at? it was a blizzard early this week around here.

Comment

Tampa Bay.

It was chilly by their standards but I thought it was just fine.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

I usually land fish on the left, trolley runs on the right. I like having a clean side to work with. Right after I installed my first anchor trolley on my first kayak I lost a good sized fish on the anchor line right next to the boat. I prefer to keep things less cluttered now. Lesson learned. I don't consider myself a minimalist but the more things cluttering up the kayak the more chances to snag and foul up.

Comment

wow florida! did you go for them legendary largemouth??

Comment

Originally posted by Luni View Post
                  I usually land fish on the left, trolley runs on the right. I like having a clean side to work with. Right after I installed my first anchor trolley on my first kayak I lost a good sized fish on the anchor line right next to the boat. I prefer to keep things less cluttered now. Lesson learned. I don't consider myself a minimalist but the more things cluttering up the kayak the more chances to snag and foul up.
                  thats a really good point! i land fish on the left most of the time and now that you said this i dont think i want a rope in my way either. lol

Comment

Jeston,

Nope...Saltwater.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...EC-tacular-day
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Welcome to the forum what waterways do you typically fish?

Comment

nice catches mark! those trout are really neat looking.

daolai, thanks for the welcome, i fish little pool lake, big pool lake, Blairs valley lake, Indian springs pond, the Conococheague creek, and the potomac river from McCoys ferry to Williamsport. I consider my "home waters" to be Four Locks (Potomac between McCoys ferry and dam#5) ive run that stretch with my dad since i was young. i fish little pool a good bit as well and The almighty Conococheague is walking distance from my house thats a favorite too. i hope to visit different waters this season as i work in baltimore so that opens some new doors for me. how about you??

Comment

Jeston,

I fished Big Pool years ago. I haven't been back for over 10 years.

How was it last year? Did the bass have any size?
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

i went a couple of times mostly for crappie. the bass that i do catch there really dont have to much size to them. the past couple years there has been that neon green algae stuff floating everywhere and the water was always dirty. i know there are a few big ones in there. i know a guy that a couple years ago pulled an 8lb one out of there. i always catch bigger and more bass at little pool and bigger crappie at big pool.

Comment

Welcome aboard! I too live in Hagerstown, and work in Baltimore. I fish all the same waters as you, but I do fish more areas of the Potomac. I also head down the the tidal waters of the Potomac as well. Just as you said, I'll be venturing into the salt this year. There are quite a few of us around the area. Feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you my number and email. That way you can be in the loop for when we head out. Also, if your interested, there is a Mid-Atlantic Tournament Series. You can check the sub-forum for all the info on that. Also on facebook too: facebook/MDKBF

Comment

Working...
                              X