Go Pro Uses Best Practice for shooting video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Pro Uses Best Practice for shooting video

I have a Go Pro 2 and a Go Pro 3 with a wi-fi remote. My question is were and how does everyone mount their Go Pro (or other cameras) . Do you keep the camera running during the whole trip? If so, how many batteries do you go through and recommend to have handy? If you mount the camera behind you, how do you manage turning it on and off, or do you just keep it on?

I have the GP3 and I found it best to use it with the head mount. I run a second camera a French camera similar to the gpro called the AEE. I have asked the same questions on running the camera to catch the strike shot and I will let others chime in that use of the all run method, but the best method I use is, with the GP3, I set it in the one button turn on mode. As soon as I hit the button the camera comes on in video mode. Unfortunately with my method I miss the strike most of the time, but not by much after the hook set.The other camera I run off remote. There are some great tutorials on YOUTUBE on managing the GoPRO to catch the footage you want to capture. The lower the Frames per seconds and running at a lower quality it will save the battery. Now when you get into fish and are guaranteed a strike on the next cast you will instinctively know when to let the camera run. Also the HOTSHOT Method is an option to run your camera on external power. I think Pinch uses this method.

Comment

I let mine run the entire time. I would go through several batteries on a trip. I am now going to the Longshot hard wire system for next season. The camera will be wired into the 12v battery of the kayak. That way, I can leave the camera run the entire trip and not change batteries. Leaving the camera run seems to be the only way to get the strike and the entire sequence. I mount both of my GoPros on the kayak, front and back.

http://www.portableuniversalpower.co...ot-product.htm
      Last edited by DOGFISH; 01-23-2014, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Not a GoPro user, but the circumstance is pretty much the same. I agree with Don. An external (i.e. larger capacity) source is the way to go. Turn it on and let it just record. Big battery, big memory card = no worries.

What I HAVE found to be handy when recording like this...when an action sequence is over, hit stop, then start recording again. That way when you are looking at your files, you know that the action is at the end of each video file. Hunting thru hours of footage to find a minute of action is tedious.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I hear you guys. I tried a test mount behind me on the kayak on a pole, but I found it a pain or dangerous (turtling) trying to reach for the camera, (if you can reach it ) to turn off and on the camera to break up the video. I then tested the mount with a pivot arm in it. Now I can move the arm down to easily, and then I can turn it on and off with ease. The only problem now is that when I pivot the arm back, then the camera may not be at the same angle or position as before. There must be a better way. I see that some have tried to mount it on a hat or head mount, but do you worry about the $300 to $400 GoPro slipping off your head? What do you do to combat this, since I imagine that you would where a hat to protect your head from the sun and glare.

Comment

I have the head mount and I can attest to the fact that it can and will fall off of your head. In my case at the CBKA tournament I was wearing it on top of a hat and at some point in the wind and chop it fell off without me even noticing. I think the fact that it was on top of a hat made it hard to feel. I am super lucky that it landed behind me still in the kayak or that would have sucked.

They sell a "floatie" for them but I think that it interferes with what other accessories you can use. Also this only means it floats not that it will stay near you or that you'll be able to find it. This year I think I may make up some kind of tether so if it falls it just catches it. Too expensive to drop and lose.

Another thing about the head mount is that its pretty shaky. You may not realize how much your head moves until you watch a video you recorded from your head. I think the videos mounted to a kayak are way more stable.

I plan to mount mine to my kayak and somehow hardwire it to 12v, because I just never catch the good shots in time and even with one touch record there is a delay to startup and usually even 5-30 seconds is enough to miss the really exciting "hook set" shots.
            2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

I wired up the Longshot hard wire system to my GoPro for the first time last night, and it works great. The mock battery is a little tight at first, but goes in well. It tested out just as the website video showed. I can't wait to give it a try out fishing. I ordered a second Longshot for my other GoPro.

Comment

Working...
              X