Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of the Day, Paddles

What type paddle do you use?

Seriously now, no Hobie jokes. Even the Hobie guys have a paddle as a back up.

I use an older Carlise paddle, E-glass. It is really a nice paddle. It is an older model. Carlise has really fallen off the scale as far as I am concerned. Their paddles now seem to be made of plastic and heavier. Some day I may upgrade to a better paddle, but for now the older Carlise is just fine.

Comment

Carlisle Day Tripper from BPS. Not having used a high quality CF paddle, this one seemed to work out fine for me when paddling.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I had a bending branches aluminum one with my redfish, probably part of the reason I felt I needed a faster kayak. I opted for the Bending Branches Slice Angler this time around. It's pretty light, comfortable, orange blades, ruler, and has a cut out so I can try to break snags with the paddle. I don't use it much, but it helps for getting lures out of trees. I don't think it was made to break heavy braided lines and I need to be more like surf and carry a snag stick this year so these cuts on my hands can finally heal.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Just have the cheapest one I could find Field and stream, aluminum with plastic blades. Has worked ok and for the price I can't complain

Comment

i have the slice too but i didnt find out that they offered it in the angler version till well after i got it. fail.
            Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Got mine from West Marine. Works well and is light.

Comment

AquaBound Sting Ray Carbon Paddle.

GB

Comment

For my Tarpon, I have a cheap aluminum Bending Branches paddle (Whisper, I think) that I use when smallie fishing or anywhere a paddle will take a beating. I also have an adjustable length carbon fiber Bending Branches paddle that I like. I don't think they make it anymore (Breeze, maybe). There were a number of different paddle shape options for it. I went with the broadest, which is shaped similarly to the aluminum paddle's blade, because I have an aggressive vertical paddle stroke (insert comment here). It was a good bang for the buck for a carbon fiber paddle, ~$250 for the adjustable model. Even though I'm tall, I went with the 220cm length.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I have the Bending Branches angler slice 240 due to the Biggame being a bit wider.
                    Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
                    LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Onno 2 piece carbon fiber, adjustable from 230 - 240 cm. The paddle is lighter than the leash that keeps it from blowing away The guy makes them 1 at a time as ordered in Hawaii. He must have finally realized what he was selling, the price has almost doubled since I got mine a year ago.

Comment

i have a 230 Bending Branches that has adjustable paddle angle, dont use it much with the revo but worked well for years with the redfish and tarpon. i was thinking of cutting a notch for snag breaking but the stick works well. the first time i used braid i was slinging lead on the beach and forgot to tighten the drag and the PP cut me to the bone, once burned, twice learned

Comment

Man, I know, when surf casting I have always had to use the finger from a laytex rubber glove on my casting finger. Hey, I should have used that for a simple idea. I cut all ten fingers off, from house hold type cleaning gloves, laytex gloves. I will put one of the fingers over my casting finger before making a cast. After fishing for a while, with getting wet and cutting bait, I have seriously cut my finger while casting. The surf finger condom seems to work.

Comment

Bending Branches for Me

Since I'm new to kayaking I have two Bending Branches Aluminum Infusion paddles in the 230 size. One of the paddles is the small diameter shaft. So far they have been great, although I have never paddled with a carbon shaft paddle. One day I'll upgrade to a carbon shaft if I begin to do longer paddle and fishing trips on the Upper Potomac. I like the foam grips that are on the Infusion paddles. For the money they seem well made and a step up from some I've seen at Dicks Sporting Goods or Bass Pro.

Comment

I have a carbon shaft on my electric motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X