new to kayaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to kayaking

Hi! This is Iony I'm new here and in kayaking, actually I'm waiting for my kayak to get here so I can set it up for fishing. I'll post pictures once I have it set up but I would like to know where I can find a good fishing spot near DC on Potomac river.Also I tried to find a website where I can find out if I have to register my yak in MD..I've heard yes if you put a trolling motor on it and no if you don't so I hope you guys can help me clarifying the situations. I've been here in MD since May 2013 and I fished Potomac for bass and catfish but I would like to try new spots around DC and upper Potomac . Thanks guys and I hope I'll see yall fishing ! Happy 2014 fishing year!
    Last edited by iony; 01-27-2014, 07:22 AM.
    2014 Sun Dolphin Bali 10 SS

What kayak are you getting?

As far as I know, boats only need to be registered if they have propulsion other than human.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Iony - Cowpokey is correct. No motor=No registration needed. Trolling motor attached=Registration needed.

In MD, at least for the time being, registration is free for boats 16' or less with a small motor (<7.5hp). A boat must be titled before it can be registered. And, just like for cars, if the kayak is bought out-of-state then you will need to pay a MD sales tax before it can be registered the kayak. Have the sales receipt handy for title/registration if you plan to go that route.

From DNR boating site: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/
      $2 TITLE FEE

$24 REGISTRATION FEE

Vessels 16 feet in length or less and/or propelled by a motor of 7.5 hp or less must display a 2-year registration decal but are exempt from the fee.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

You have to pay tax on it the first year, If you can't prove you paid tax on it. Then no registration fee.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Thanks guys for replying . I got a sun dolphin Bali 10ss, sit on top kayak , tangerine color. I didn't really see any review on it and I know most of the people bought 12' kayaks for fishing but you know, I live in a apartment right now and I don't have space to put it. It looks nice , pretty tall side walls not too heavy. I'll post pictures when I get it

Comment

Welcome aboard iony.

Lots of fishing near DC.
            The Potomac River from the WW bridge on south is good. LM, cat, crappie, perch, and striper.
            You can launch at the WW on the VA side. The channel runs deep at Ft Washington, you can launch near there at Wharf Rd in MD. And my favorite launch on this section of the river... Marshall Hall.

Above DC, the current is pretty strong. I have never kayaked the section between Georgetown and Great Falls. But above GF, the SM fishing is great. Seneca Creek is nice. The water is slow there because of the Seneca Breaks and the old dam by the entrance to Violet's Lock.

A fun run on the Upper Potomac is Violet's Lock, just downstream from Seneca Creek. The C&O Canal there is full... and runs close to the river at a few points downstream. So you can fish the river downstream... pull out and portage over to the canal.... then leisurely paddle back up the canal to Violet's Lock. Just make sure you map your route ahead of time and don't get stuck on the VA side of the islands. The pull outs I use are Canal Mileposts 21, 19, and 18 which are 1, 2.5, and 3 miles from Violet's Lock, respectively.
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

here's the link for my yak. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolphi...erine/32333529
              I bought it from home depot online but walmart has more pictures with different angles

Comment

thanks buzz. I can't wait to set up mine for fishing. I have to add rod holders to build the outriggers left and right, add more extras to it. Is gonna be a nice project while is cold but I can't wait to take is out as is also.

Comment

Iony - that's a nice looking yak with all the stuff you need to get started.. I am relatively new to kayak fishing as well the only advice I can offer is enjoy the learning experience and if you truly enjoy it you will be addicted.. and like me buy another kayak

Comment

Yeah probably I'll end up buying another one this summer but for now I'm ok with this one .

Comment

Mattawoman Creek

Nice yak, Iony. Mattawoman creek is close-by and offers really great fishing. Big snakeheads too, which give a heck of a fight. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fhep/?p=Mattawoman

Originally posted by iony View Post
                      Hi! This is Iony I'm new here and in kayaking, actually I'm waiting for my kayak to get here so I can set it up for fishing. I'll post pictures once I have it set up but I would like to know where I can find a good fishing spot near DC on Potomac river.Also I tried to find a website where I can find out if I have to register my yak in MD..I've heard yes if you put a trolling motor on it and no if you don't so I hope you guys can help me clarifying the situations. I've been here in MD since May 2013 and I fished Potomac for bass and catfish but I would like to try new spots around DC and upper Potomac . Thanks guys and I hope I'll see yall fishing ! Happy 2014 fishing year!
                      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                      Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thank you man appreciate it. Great information in the link.I will try to takeep my yak out as soon as I get it but this snow and cold weather gives me some trouble. Maybe I'll find someone to come with me for the first time that would be great. I'll post back as soon as I get my yak.

Comment

Your new, do you have cold weather gear? Anyone taught you how to recover from an accidental swim?

If not, make sure you either wait for much warmer weather, or go out with experienced people from here. Watch the "boatyard" (local sub forums) for people that will be heading out on creeks for perch and Pickerel. Tag along and learn from them. Cold water is no joke!
                          Last edited by archeryrob; 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM.
                          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Well I'm navy active duty , I've been put in any situations the accedental swim recovery is not.going to be a problem so I'm not too worried . I will try to find someone to go with if I can for the first time if not I will try it on my own. The worst case scenario I'll put my info and where I'm going and if you guys don't hear back come find me.. jk .

Comment

Spoken like a true beginner. It's a different environment than you've been trained to deal with.
                              Originally posted by iony View Post
                              Well I'm navy active duty , I've been put in any situations the accedental swim recovery is not.going to be a problem so I'm not too worried . I will try to find someone to go with if I can for the first time if not I will try it on my own. The worst case scenario I'll put my info and where I'm going and if you guys don't hear back come find me.. jk .
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X