Coping with withdrawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coping with withdrawl

With the bay covered with up to six inches of ice and the tributaries not doing that much better, I guess the best thing to do in the meantime is read a book. I just finished James Wharton's The Bounty of the Chesapeake, its amazing how much fish was in the bay and rivers back then, you couldn't dip a net it seems without pulling up some shad, herring, carp, or bass. This was also true in the Potomac at Mt. Vernon. Has anyone fished that area recently?

I think we are all going a little nuts. My wife says I am miserable if I'm not fishing....I'm glad she can see life in my perspective now.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
      I think we are all going a little nuts. My wife says I am miserable if I'm not fishing....I'm glad she can see life in my perspective now.
      I'm trying to keep busy tying flies, researching reels, working off the honey do list so the fishing season will be more productive. I spend a lot of time looking for boat launches and camping areas.
      PigPen - Mt Airy
      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

im itching all over!! you tube is my best friend right now. grrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Snagged line, youtube and looking through the tackle boxes...again.

COME ON SPRING TIME!!!

Comment

Glad to know I am not the only one thinking non stop about fishing and getting out on the water. Was flossing my teeth the other day and thinking about fishing and realized I could use the floss to get the fishing line through those tiny little hook holes. To my delight, I found two incredibly useful and enjoyable books about the Chesapeake Bay and fishing that have kept me company all winter. Chesapeake Light Tackle by Shawn Kimbro and the other book is Fishing the Chesapeake by Lenny Rudow. Most of you probably know of these books, but I am fairly new to this game and found a wealth of information in these books. I bought myself a 36x50 inch map of the Chesapeake and as I read the books just mentioned and learn of good fishing spots, I mark the map with a pin.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

Im not much of a reader but my uncle gave me a book that i have found very informative is "In pursuit of trophy Smallmouth bass - My life in a kayak" by Jeff Little. he met the author once and told him that much of whats in the book was learned while fishing the susky. it is not just about catching river smallmouth but kayaking fishing skills, gear, and safety as well.

41lJvt8PEiL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jeston View Post
                Im not much of a reader but my uncle gave me a book that i have found very informative is "In pursuit of trophy Smallmouth bass - My life in a kayak" by Jeff Little. he met the author once and told him that much of whats in the book was learned while fishing the susky. it is not just about catching river smallmouth but kayaking fishing skills, gear, and safety as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10724[/ATTACH]
                Jeff's on these boards and few of us have fished with him. He's put out a few videos and is really into the study of fishing. Look him up and check out his posts.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Luckily I have a lot of custom bait orders to keep me busy.... but this winter is going to be followed by a spring that we will all really appreciate!!1 The sooner the better....
                  http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
                  484-459-9863
                  If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
                  *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Feb meet and greet may be in jeopardy. I haven't one single yellow perch in my belly yet this year! Bring on the flea markets to keep us busy.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Hello, my name is Jon. I'm addicted to fishing.
                      Good to know snaggedline has added a kayak angler's anonymous thread

I've hit the Dickerson and 4 mile discharge a few times with the fly, but other than the tiniest of small sunfish or bluegill the only thing I get is a runny nose and frozen fingers. I was so desperate I even went in the middle of our winter storm we had 2 weeks ago. Other than that I've been tying flies and watching youtube. Skimming through the threads and excited about the big KBF challenge series news. Maybe I'll break open my reels and respool them. It's just so cold in my garage!
                      -Jon
                      Revo 13

Comment

Jon,

There are far worse addictions.

Stay strong.

Spring is coming.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Going to make a brake for some open water on Saturday looking for some new spots and blue cats.

Comment

Does anybody know where there is some open waster and fish? What about down by Smith Island? I probably can make it till FEB and DNR says they'll start stocking trout soon.
                            PigPen - Mt Airy
                            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Yay,
                              Just got a Cabela's catalog in the mail, should keep me busy. Also surfing the YouTube videos.

Comment

Working...
                              X