Baitcasting Rod for Trolling and Topwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baitcasting Rod for Trolling and Topwater

Is there a baitcasting rod that can handle 2-4 oz while trolling and also do well throwing topwater baits?

What would you suggest?

That's two VERY different things and finding a rod that will do both well would be nearly impossible.. that being said almost any MH-H rod will do it...lol I don't know if your talking fresh or salt water... If you're talking bay fishing then get something in a m-mh inshore rod. For fresh water go with at least MH. I would go with a fast action rod, for topwater you would typically use a fast to extra fast and trolling you would typically use a moderate to fast action..

If I were you i would buy a fairly low priced rod if you want to use it this way. In trying to use it for both you would never appreciate how good a high end rod could be when using it for it's intended purpose. Ugly stick makes good rods for the money.. OR, you could decide which is more important to you and buy a nice rod meant to do it..

all that being said I do have a couple rods that i think work well for topwater, and trolling lighter shallow running (up to 12-15') crankbaits, and bucktails or spoons up to 2.5oz.
    Last edited by OVERBOARD; 01-30-2014, 12:26 PM.
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by OVERBOARD View Post
      That's two VERY different things and finding a rod that will do both well would be nearly impossible.. that being said almost any MH-H rod will do it...lol I don't know if your talking fresh or salt water... If you're talking bay fishing then get something in a m-mh inshore rod. For fresh water go with at least MH. I would go with a fast action rod, for topwater you would typically use a fast to extra fast and trolling you would typically use a moderate to fast action..

If I were you i would buy a fairly low priced rod if you want to use it this way. In trying to use it for both you would never appreciate how good a high end rod could be when using it for it's intended purpose. Ugly stick makes good rods for the money.. OR, you could decide which is more important to you and buy a nice rod meant to do it..

all that being said I do have a couple rods that i think work well for topwater, and trolling lighter shallow running (up to 12-15') crankbaits, and bucktails or spoons up to 2.5oz.
      I'm thinking the same thing. Those are very different operations and really not the right combo to try to buy in a single rod. You can certainly use most casting setups to troll lures, but not something as heavy and with as much drag as it sounds like you're trying to do. The rod would be bent in half most of the time. For trolling, you could really go pretty cheap on that setup as you're really just dragging lures through the water. it doesn't have to be light or be the best casting reel, etc.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Like the others said a cheaper setup will do fine for trolling. As for topwater it comes down to preference but I prefer a spinning setup since I can cast them a bit farther.

Comment

I fished a St. Croix 7 foot medium action bait cast rod last year in the Bay and I loved it.

It is rated for lures 1/4 to 3/4 oz. so it's not nearly as heavy as perhaps you had in mind.

I used it for casting top water and crank baits. Rarely for trolling.

I prefer a medium action rod for top water because I find that a little delay in the strike reflex is sometimes helpful for hookups on top water.

As to distance, I can throw a bait cast rod farther and with more control than a spinning rod for lures 1/2 oz. and above. I use spinning rods for lighter lures in situations where distance is not critical.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            I fished a St. Croix 7 foot medium action bait cast rod last year in the Bay and I loved it.

It is rated for lures 1/4 to 3/4 oz. so it's not nearly as heavy as perhaps you had in mind.

I used it for casting top water and crank baits. Rarely for trolling.

I prefer a medium action rod for top water because I find that a little delay in the strike reflex is sometimes helpful for hookups on top water.

As to distance, I can throw a bait cast rod farther and with more control than a spinning rod for lures 1/2 oz. and above. I use spinning rods for lighter lures in situations where distance is not critical.
            The rods i mention having at the end are St Croix's and I love em.. I'm also a baitcast guy until the lures are too light to toss. I can be much more accurate with the casters
            2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by OVERBOARD View Post
              The rods i mention having at the end are St Croix's and I love em.. I'm also a baitcast guy until the lures are too light to toss. I can be much more accurate with the casters
              What are the specs on those rods ... seems close to what I'm after.

Thanks for all the replies so far ...

Comment

I have two 7' St croix avid inshore rods one in medium heavy fast and one medium fast. Then i have a MH G Loomis pro-blue that i like a lot as well..

The avids are about 200. but are very nice rods. the pro blue may have been a couple bucks more. The St. croix tidemasters are also awesome rods for 150.
                2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                X