Laws regarding boats colliding with kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laws regarding boats colliding with kayaks

Sorry if this is a repost. I came across this on the SOMD Paddlers facebook page.

I had no idea the laws were pretty thin. Makes me want to take extra steps on being more visiable on the water.

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/editors-...-by-powerboat/
    -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Originally posted by quikdrive View Post
    Sorry if this is a repost. I came across this on the SOMD Paddlers facebook page.

I had no idea the laws were pretty thin. Makes me want to take extra steps on being more visiable on the water.

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/editors-...-by-powerboat/
    One of our members here was hit by a boat at a meet and greet. I think is was Dogfish. Since then, I have two whistles, a flag, and an air horn.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Safety must be your first concern when out on the water. Laws and rights of way mean nothing when you are sliced up by the prop or are dead. Do whatever you must to be visible. Be prepared to paddle like a mad man to get out of the way. Stay alert of your surroundings.

You can't bet your life on others doing the right thing.
      Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
      WS Ride 115 Mango
      WS Tarpon 100

Comment

That's a pretty sad article. Do everything you can to be seen and heard. Flags, lights and horns also a pfd can't save you if you don't wear it. The best thing is a yellow or mango colored yak 10 times easier to see than sand or camo colored yaks.

Comment

Found this link on navigational rules as applied to kayaks.

http://www.smart-start-kayaking.com/...nal-Rules.html

Comment

I got to state someone running a power boat is not going to hear you blowing a whistle. Most power boats you can't hear anyone on the boat unless they are close to you.

Bright blade on you paddles help a lot. I also do not believe orange is the best color on the water. White or yellow is much more noticeable.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Here's an interesting video on on water visability http://vimeo.com/29066467#at=0

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Powered vessels always have to give way to unpowered vessels. That isn't to say they always do. A drunk guy in a powerboat with bikini clad passengers may at times be distracted.
                Hurricane Skimmer 128
                WS Pamlico 100

Comment

In reality the Laws of Gross Tonage applies...a huge cargo ship cannot navigate away from the channel/another boat as quickly as a small boat can...but a kayak will always LOOSE the battle of Gross Tonage...Stay alert, power boaters are having too much fun to be concerned about the other guy...
                  Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by wfauby View Post
                    In reality the Laws of Gross Tonage applies...a huge cargo ship cannot navigate away from the channel/another boat as quickly as a small boat can...but a kayak will always LOOSE the battle of Gross Tonage...Stay alert, power boaters are having too much fun to be concerned about the other guy...
                    You got that one right! I call that the Law of Self Preservation. It is amazing to me how many people disobey that law... I am reminded of the pack of cyclists who insist on riding winding roads at o'dark thirty in the middle of the lane. Do they have the right? Yes. Will that make being run over any less painful? No.
                    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I have written about this one before. This is the thread describing my collision. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ghlight=parker It can happen fast. I now carry an air horn and a flare gun. I have used the air horn several times on close calls, since the mishap. It seems best with the air horn. I don't think most boaters would hear a whistle. Wear and use the most visible colors available to you, including a flag. Be aware and keep a good lookout, which is your best defense. Regardless of any laws, it is too late once you are hit by a boat.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                        I have written about this one before. This is the thread describing my collision. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ghlight=parker It can happen fast. I now carry an air horn and a flare gun. I have used the air horn several times on close calls, since the mishap. It seems best with the air horn. I don't think most boaters would hear a whistle. Wear and use the most visible colors available to you, including a flag. Be aware and keep a good lookout, which is your best defense. Regardless of any laws, it is too late once you are hit by a boat.
                        Sorry, Don, I didn't mean to imply that you were at fault or not paying attention. I was just agreeing that sometimes people put themselves in bad situations.

As a side note, it was good meeting you today. Remind me to pick up an air horn when I come in to get that reel spooled up.
                        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I am more in agreement with you. Being alert is the best defense.

Comment

once while fishing the Georgian Bay with a top guide, I said it would be fun to get a canoe (or yak) on the weed edges and cast for Musky. He laughed and told me I'd get run over, (which ticked me off), so I said I'd have a flag on it, etc. and he said it would look pretty going under, and laughed, (which ticked me off more). he guided my Dad and myself to our first 50", my Dad our first day in the boat, me our third day in the boat on a follow-up trip (pushing 40lbs!), plus big northern, 32" Walleye, so the guy could fish, but what an attitude. at the same time, who savors tackling I-495/695 in a rickshaw with a bunch of 18-wheelers and ESL taxi drivers hard on your bumper? no matter how aesthetically superior you are, you might get squashed.

Comment

once while fishing the Georgian Bay with a top guide, I said it would be fun to get a canoe (or yak) on the weed edges and cast for Musky. He laughed and told me I'd get run over, (which ticked me off), so I said I'd have a flag on it, etc. and he said it would look pretty going under, and laughed, (which ticked me off more). he guided my Dad and myself to our first 50", my Dad our first day in the boat, me our third day in the boat on a follow-up trip (pushing 40lbs!), plus big northern, 32" Walleye, so the guy could fish, but what an attitude. at the same time, who savors tackling I-495/695 in a rickshaw with a bunch of 18-wheelers and ESL taxi drivers hard on your bumper? no matter how aesthetically superior you are, you might get squashed.

Comment

Working...
                              X