Ice Ice Baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Ice Baby

SurfDog and I did a recon of some kayak launch locations on the Patuxent. The three locations that we tried were Jefferson Patterson Park (10515 Mackall Rd, St Leonard, MD ), Nan Cove (Calvert County), and Bennedict, all off of the Patuxent River above Solomon's Island. All of the launch locations were free exept for Jefferson Patterson Park. All locations were covered with ice.
    Attached Files

Very cool guys ! Thanks for the report...
    but... no pictures of lunch ?
    Maybe a crab cake samwich... or re-habbed softshell sandwich.. a big plate of oysters.. ?
    My heart goes out to the fisherman that have to make a living on the bay with all the ice...
    We landlubbers just have to "jones" on the itch to paddle...

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Looks like you need Photoshop to put a kayak out there..
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

This is why you need two hobbies, make a second, like making lures.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Here is a quick Severn River ice update for Sunday morning. I checked out three coves and creeks -- they are still nearly entirely ice covered. For example, the ice at the Tucker St ramp in Weems Creek comes all the way to the beach. A few small areas on the northern side of the tributaries that get more sun exposure are open, but you cannot get your kayak to those areas (if you had shoreline access or private dock access, you might have a chance of finding a hungry pickerel). The main channel of the river was open water, but there were significant ice sheets along the edges. Even if you chose to launch at Jonas Green you could not get to any productive fishing areas with the possible exception of jigging the debris piles near the fishing pier (as a side note, I have never done well in that area after the first week of January).

Hopefully things will be more favorable by the end of this week.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Martin, this story relates to your tour stop at Hallowing Point. Happened on Jan. 23 before it was completely solid.

Originally posted by moc View Post
            SurfDog and I did a recon of some kayak launch locations on the Patuxent. The three locations that we tried were Jefferson Patterson Park (10515 Mackall Rd, St Leonard, MD ), Nan Cove (Calvert County), and Bennedict, all off of the Patuxent River above Solomon's Island. All of the launch locations were free exept for Jefferson Patterson Park. All locations were covered with ice.
            Something scary....
            I wasn't going to post this because it's a little embarrassing, but since there's talk about walking out on the ice I thought maybe I should.

On Thursday things started off like any other day. Cold, but sunny and the roads were clear. My Lab wanted to get out and go for a ride, so I decided to head to Hallowing Point to renew my boat stickers and get my 2014 fishing license. It's an easy trip to that DNR satellite center, straight down Rt 4 and turn right in Prince Frederick to the Patuxent.

Jack was half asleep in the back of the truck as we stopped for a red light entering Dunkirk. There were two cars in front of me when the light turned green. The first one took off, but the woman in front of me was busy texting and didn't notice the green light. Just as I was ready to honk the horn a work van coming up behind me thought we were moving and smashed my back bumper. Jack was simply beside himself. As luck would have it there were two state police cars right behind the van, so the accident report was easy, the cop filled it out. Stuff happens, and it's just a bumper.

Half hour delay and we were back on the road. The DNR building is at the entrance to Halloing Pt. boat ramp, so after getting the necessary stickers and my license I drove around by the ramp so Jack could stretch his legs and play in a snow drift. I walked out on one of the piers so I could look up the river, and Jack chose to walk out on one of the other piers. The river was frozen to the end of the piers and slushy beyond.

Jack decided he wanted to be where I was, and as I yelled Jack, NO he was going through and under the ice. He popped up through the ice with a surprised look on his face, and was able to make his way to where I was. I was trying to figure a way to lift him up on the pier, and grabbed his collar and tried reaching for his rump. Jack jerked back and I did a somersault and joined him under the ice.

Now it's getting scary. The water wasn't deep, only about 3 - 4' with 2 " of ice and some sand build up on the concrete ramp. I went in head first and hit my head on the bottom. I was able to quickly stand and start pulling the dog, trudging through the ice toward shore, about 20' away. About half way Jack was able to get on top of the ice and sprinted to the side of the truck for a good shake. Meanwhile I was still fighting toward land.

By the time I reached ankle deep water I was exhausted. I stepped on solid ice at the top of the ramp where I fell and slid back in the water. I managed to stand, and it was all I could do to get a knee up on the pier and pull myself up. I hurried as fast as I could to the truck, opened the tail gate and threw my wet coat in then let Jack in the back seat. I put his blanket on the driver seat to soak up some water and got the heater going on full. This was a very scary experience. The whole ordeal of getting out of the water took less than a minute. The water was obviously right at freezing and the air was 16. As hard as it was to get on the pier and as dazed as I was in the truck I don't know if I would have made another minute. I'm now a true believer in everything I've ever heard about hypothermia. This won't ever happen again, if there's a next time the dog is on his own.

Comment

Wow glad u r OK, lucky not to have broken your neck. Hyperthermia is no joke.

Comment

Glad you're find Capt.

That's the thing about the cold water. Kayakers always hear the unconscious in 15 minutes and dead in 30. You muscles are incapacitated in 2 minutes and you will not get back on your kayak. 2 minutes in freezing water and you're helpless just waiting to be rescued, or waiting to die. Cold water is nothing to play with!
                "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Wow, glad you're both ok. Polar Bear Plunge, with a flip.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

I was down at Smallwood State Park on Sunday. Ice around the ramps and piers was pretty thick and strong.
                    But there were signs it had been thicker and stronger.

First thing I noticed were a couple of cutouts. One to the right of the ramps about 3 foot square and then a much larger one about 4' x 8'.
                    Next to these cutouts were chunks of ice that had been taken out. The chunks were at least 8 inches thick.

The second thing I noticed was the tire tracks. Yes, someone (when I don't know) had driven out on the ice. The tracks stretched out into Mattawoman to almost the first buoy. They looped around, across the side creek, and back again. I know its been cold, but I really can't believe someone tried that here. Must have been drunk as a skunk.

Crazy.
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                    X