Potomac near DC and Great Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac near DC and Great Falls

Guys tomorrow I'll go check on Potomac between DC and Great Falls. I'll post pictures and a video maybe. I don't think I'll take my kayak with me but if I find open water maybe I'll come back depends on the weather. Anybody wants to meet up? I don't know how the water is maybe is frozen over maybe is open water but I'll give it a try. Let me know if someone wants to try .
    2014 Sun Dolphin Bali 10 SS

I don't want to be the cold water on you, all the time. Its mostly moving water that is open and if its your first going out you should start in flat slow water at first just to get used to it. I know you got the itch having that kayak now, just be slow and patient. Most all flat water is frozen now. Make sure you get a tag along. Follow Turtle (Dave) around I know he's probably out, but he's mostly likely going places you should not be heading into, yet. He's probably is waders and a dry top also.

I just got my Ride 135 Friday and I refitted my garage hanging system for it, as I knew I should not take it out, half from Ice and half from being sick.

If we get a rain day and it raises the Potomac levels it will flush all the ice out. Its great seeing your excitement, just don't get yourself into trouble.
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I agree with archerybob. It's good that you plan on scouting the Potomac on foot from DC up to Great Falls. But I would strongly suggest you not kayak this area until spring/summer during lower flows when its warmer and you have learned a lot more about the dangers found throughout this area. This section kills people, at least a couple each year both from paddle boats and from falling in from shore.

A good quick way to look this area over is to bike-ride the tow path of the C&O Canal. Walk down every path that leads to the river from the tow path.

Learning to kayak in this section of the Potomac would be like learning to drive by entering the Indianapolis 500... or worse yet, learning by driving around the Washington Beltway during rush-hour.

Other good access points would be Anglers Inn and Carder Rock Recreation Area, both located along MacCarthur Blvd and Clara Barton Parkway a short ways west of the Beltway. Also, access the tow path at Great Falls and walk towards DC. Get on the "Billygoat Trail". This trail parallels the river for a long way and you will get many good views of what the river has to offer.

When trying to find my way around DC I use the ADC map book titled "Metro Washington, DC" . If you live in the DC area I would strongly advise getting this map book. Should be available at most convenience stores and office supply stores.

Good luck.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

hello! I got back a while ago but I didn't open my email till now. I didn't take my yak there but I wanted so bad and I made the right decision because the Potomac was frozen over..I went where Seneca creek meets with Potomac and the creek had open water all the way. I fished using red worm on one rod and I hooked the bigger catfish ; on the second rod I had a little crayfish lure and I got the little catfish on. Weird...I expected some crappie and yellow perch but I got what I wasn't prepared for. IMG_20140202_080451.jpgIMG_20131019_081350.jpgIMG_20131019_072202.jpg

Comment

Iony - Nice catches in these conditions. Doesn't look like this week will give us much of a reprieve in the weather.

Comment

Thanks! I hope it will get better towards the end of the month..

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
              I don't want to be the cold water on you, all the time. Its mostly moving water that is open and if its your first going out you should start in flat slow water at first just to get used to it. I know you got the itch having that kayak now, just be slow and patient. Most all flat water is frozen now. Make sure you get a tag along. Follow Turtle (Dave) around I know he's probably out, but he's mostly likely going places you should not be heading into, yet. He's probably is waders and a dry top also.

I just got my Ride 135 Friday and I refitted my garage hanging system for it, as I knew I should not take it out, half from Ice and half from being sick.

If we get a rain day and it raises the Potomac levels it will flush all the ice out. Its great seeing your excitement, just don't get yourself into trouble.
              Way to look out! I'd have you watch my back any time. Thanks for your post!

Comment

Working...
              X