Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important Anne Arundel County Water Access Committee Meeting Wed, February 12 @ 6pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important Anne Arundel County Water Access Committee Meeting Wed, February 12 @ 6pm

Hello all,

There is an important Anne Arundel County Water Access Committee Meeting on Wednesday, February 12, 2014, at 6 pm in Millersville. County Executive Laura Neuman will be at this WAC meeting. Please come and tell her about your sport and how access to the water is critical to you.

Come and participate in a discussion with the County Executive about the importance of public access to the Chesapeake and its tributaries in Anne Arundel County. Tell her about the difficulties and frustrations of getting to the water in Anne Arundel County. Tell her that you want public access to the public waterfront, tell her that you want a short carry to the water, tell her that you want access to the Magothy, tell her about the other county water access issues on *your* wishlist. Tell her you appreciate the new access points at Homeport Farm Park and Beverly-Triton Beach Park and how you and your family are using them.

Especially in this digital age showing up at an inconvenient time at an inconvenient place is important.

The meeting begins at 6 pm and will be held at the county building at 445 Maxwell Frye Road, Millersville MD 21108. (It's off Veterans Highway.)

I look forward to seeing you there.

Lisa

Hello all,

We're getting strong pushback from local residents on the new access to Beverly-Triton Beach Park and Homeport Farm Park. The communities near Beverly-Triton are pressuring the county to close the park again and the Homeport Farm neighbors are piling junk in the park driveway to block use of the park.

Please come to the Water Access Committee meeting tomorrow/Wednesday night and tell the county why water access makes a difference to you. It's important that the county executive hears from responsible park users as well as disgruntled park neighbors.

Public access to the Magothy will also be discussed. If you want to fish the Magothy this is a great time to speak up.

Lisa

Homeport Vandalism.jpg

Comment

Unfortunately, work is preventing me from attending tomorrow's meeting. Lisa, who do you suggest I write to make sure my voice is heard? The County Executive? Anyone else?
      Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Well that is sad state of affairs all around.
        I doubt very seriously that is the kayaking and outdoor enthusiasts that are causing any
        problems. The day(s) I went to Home Port... there were paper coffee cups littering the
        road that were not present when I arrived. I picked them up as I left, along with some other
        trash in the area. Certainly not left by outdoor enthusiasts.

Interesting that Beverly is having problems, considering the gates that are locked during the night,
        although it certainly has more appeal for day trippers with the beach area during the day.
        As for day use here... if I remember correctly, there aren't really any direct neighbors near the parking.

At Home Port I don't really see problem by day use enthusiasts.

I have a guess that at both places the problems are occurring at night. At Home Port I would
        speculate that it is the local teenagers and young adults driving in for nefarious exploits...
        And I certainly wouldn't want that in my neighborhood.
        At Home Port a gate system would work... it would be painful but feasible.

Unfortunately, both of these areas are prime real estate. And the conspiracy side of me
        has notions that developers may be fueling the fire for opposition to access. It was mentioned
        to me that Beverly has had previous attempts for development.

I work evenings... let alone the idea of traveling against rush hour traffic over an hour with an impending snow storm
        to make such a meeting. People might say... well.... "He" doesn't care enough... or others don't care enough
        to attend so there isn't enough support. I don't think that is true.

I might suggest that any immediate decision be postponed. At this time full impact of closing down
        these facilities has not been evaluated. Making an important decision that would negatively impact an enthusiastic
        and ecologically minded community that is ever growing in popularity, is not favorable for the future support
        of the Chesapeake Bay.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by MD Dore View Post
          Unfortunately, work is preventing me from attending tomorrow's meeting. Lisa, who do you suggest I write to make sure my voice is heard? The County Executive? Anyone else?
          Write Laura Neuman, the County Executive, and if you live in Anne Arundel County your County Councilmember.

http://www.aacounty.org/countycouncil#.Uvt7_j-LDVI

Thank you. I will post here ASAP if the WAC meeting is postponed by snow.

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
            Well that is sad state of affairs all around.
            I doubt very seriously that is the kayaking and outdoor enthusiasts that are causing any
            problems. <snip>

At Home Port a gate system would work... it would be painful but feasible. <snip>

Rob.
            Let's not leap to the "outsider problem" conclusion. Beverly-Triton is not having problems. Homeport Farm is not having problems. The problem is that the neighbors do not want anyone using those parks at all.

"Gate" is a four letter word. Let's not go there.

I'll post here ASAP if the WAC meeting is postponed by snow.

Lisa

Comment

The Water Access Committee meeting is ON for tonight.

Lisa

Comment

Working...
              X