Help painting jig heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help painting jig heads

I need help from you guys out there that are familiar with painting lead jig heads. Here are a list and pictures of what I have. I guess I need more in the area of techniques for dipping and baking my heads. I want to eliminate dripping and build up of paint on the down side while hanging in the oven. Here is what I'm Working with. The powder are all glow powders.
    bald jig heads.jpgHeat Gun (2).jpgPro Tech Glow Paint.jpg

Use xmas trees ornament hangers when you bake them. All runs will run off. Make sure to put aluminum foil under them. Also, if they are running, that means too much paint. That could be from a few different reasons. Lead too hot when dipped, or dipping too long. It's a fine line when using a heat gun. I usually will leave a 1/4 ounce head in the heat for 7 seconds. Better to be light, and recoat, than heavy with drips. Just some things have learned through trial and error. Good luck.

Comment

Try making a "fluid bed" there's instructional videos on YouTube, or you can buy one. Makes the job a lot easier. I don't bother with baking them. A few seconds on the heat gun after dipping works fine. They'll be gone before the paint chips away. A second dip in a contrasting color makes them awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekfish View Post
        Use xmas trees ornament hangers when you bake them. All runs will run off. Make sure to put aluminum foil under them. Also, if they are running, that means too much paint. That could be from a few different reasons. Lead too hot when dipped, or dipping too long. It's a fine line when using a heat gun. I usually will leave a 1/4 ounce head in the heat for 7 seconds. Better to be light, and recoat, than heavy with drips. Just some things have learned through trial and error. Good luck.
        Thank you Derek, I think that I'm rotating them to long in the heat around 15-20 secs at 500F. I will try your suggestion . I agree with your suggestion about going in for a recoat rather than heating them up too much. Thanks.

Comment

Get a cheap toaster oven and raise the rack up some how. I used cheap thin paver bricks on each side
          $16 toaster oven

The fluid bed helps a lot with getting it even. If you have runs, you have too much powder paint on it.

Build your own fluid bed, or you can buy one from Jann's netcraft or similar store.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioreno View Post
            I need help from you guys out there that are familiar with painting lead jig heads. Here are a list and pictures of what I have. I guess I need more in the area of techniques for dipping and baking my heads. I want to eliminate dripping and build up of paint on the down side while hanging in the oven. Here is what I'm Working with. The powder are all glow powders.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]10790[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10791[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10792[/ATTACH]
            Thanks guys your suggestions helped tremendously. Here are the finished jigs. The Glo-Paint I used really glows in the dark.
            After changing my dipping technique as suggested and reheating after dipping they came out better.
            finished jig with hair.jpgfinished painted jig.jpg

Comment

Great work!

I recently bought some jig casting equipment and I am looking forward to giving it a try.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Those look good

Comment

Don't over dip and clean the lead with vinagar before dipping. This cleans any oxidation from the lead.

Comment

Working...
                  X