Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrance Elite 4 DSI

Hello Everyone,
    I'm new to this site and just got permission to post but I have been enjoying reading your posts. I noticed Cabela's has the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI Sonar/GPS combo on sale for $279.00. I'd like your opinion of this unit. I'd like to install the transducer to shoot through the hull of my Nativewatercraft Slayer. Lowrance doesn't recommend this installation - are any of you having success with this method? I mostly fish the skinny water off the Chesapeake.

Thanks for your help!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowra...h-All+Products

I just bought a Elite 4 over the holidays but haven't installed it on my kayak yet. So far I'm having a problem with the GPS unable to connect to the satellites. I'm not sure what the problem is right now and will contact Lowrance once I'm on the water and still cant use GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Elsea View Post
      Hello Everyone,
      I'm new to this site and just got permission to post but I have been enjoying reading your posts. I noticed Cabela's has the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI Sonar/GPS combo on sale for $279.00. I'd like your opinion of this unit. I'd like to install the transducer to shoot through the hull of my Nativewatercraft Slayer. Lowrance doesn't recommend this installation - are any of you having success with this method? I mostly fish the skinny water off the Chesapeake.
      I am not familiar with the Elite 4 DSI unit or its transducer. I don't know why Lowrance recommends not installing it to shoot through the hull -- maybe it interferes with the DSI capability. I have installed Lowrance units on 4 separate kayaks and have always installed the transducer inside the hull. I get excellent sonar readings. I recently posted about installing a Lowrance FF/GPS on my Native Slayer Propel. Check out that post and follow the links to find my installation instructions.

Originally posted by huizhao85 View Post
      I just bought a Elite 4 over the holidays but haven't installed it on my kayak yet. So far I'm having a problem with the GPS unable to connect to the satellites. I'm not sure what the problem is right now and will contact Lowrance once I'm on the water and still cant use GPS.
      Make sure you are testing the unit outdoors. If you are in your house, garage, or basement, you may not be able to connect to any satellites.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Make sure you are testing the unit outdoors. If you are in your house, garage, or basement, you may not be able to connect to any satellites.
        Thanks, I'll try that out sometime and report back.

Comment

I think when they mean they don't recommend a shoot thru hull they are referring to the fiberglass hull of a boat. I have my Elite 4 DSI shooting through and the readings are no problem. Great combo unit and $279 is a pretty good price.
          Dave
          2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

I used to have my Elite 4 (standard, not DSI) mounted shoot thru. Worked just fine except water temp which was really not a big deal to me.
            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFX35 View Post
              I think when they mean they don't recommend a shoot thru hull they are referring to the fiberglass hull of a boat. I have my Elite 4 DSI shooting through and the readings are no problem. Great combo unit and $279 is a pretty good price.

That makes a lot of sense -- especially on boats with foam layers inside the fiberglass, like Boston Whaler.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You can shoot through solid fiberglass but like John said, not through foam layers. I use the same unit on my fiberglass skiff and kayak, both shooting thru the hull with skimmer transducers.

Comment

Have you seen the Yak Attack Cellblok? I just ordered my Slayer Propel and my dealer told me about this. Myself, I will go this way just to avoid running cables and holes in my new yak. http://www.yakangler.com/kayaks-and-...ttack-cellblok

Originally posted by Elsea View Post
                  Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your help!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowra...h-All+Products
                  Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                  Cobra Explorer

Comment

You won't have any problem with a through hull installation with a Lorance transducer if installed correctly. Make sure it looking straight down and use either the duct seal or vasaline method to mount to inside bottom of your yak.

Comment

Working...
                    X