What's on your list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's on your list?

Ok so the nice weather is slowly but surely approaching and its time to start getting some new gear together. Im curious to see what is on everyones list before you hit the water again? (for those of us who didnt venture out in the cold). Last year was my first year fishing for stripers from my kayak on the bay, needless to say I learned a lot and have a lot to learn. So here is my list so far.

What I already purchased in preparation:
    2 Penn 320GT2/slammer combos(on a budet)
    1 pair of fish grips
    Werner skagit paddle
    Gopro 3+ silver edition

What I am still looking to purchase:
    2014 fishing liscense
    Bump board to measure my catches
    new paddle leash
    A few rapala xraps
    visability flag(might do a diy)
    Mounting solution for the Gopro

Thats my list for now, although I am sure I will think of a bunch of other things I will "need" by then. I am on a budget or so I tell myself that (and my girlfriend). I am looking forward to using all the new gear and hopefully catching some good ones this year.

I got my kayak at the end of the season last year and still need a lot:

-decent PFD (mine sucks!)
    -good paddle (again...mine sucks!)
    -paddle leash
    -anchor
    -flag/light. probably will make something
    -gopro
    -probably a bunch of other things.........

Comment

As far as PFD's go I highly recommend the NRS chinook. I was in the same position as you last year, everything needed an upgrade.

Comment

*Change out my fishing line.
        *Mark old and new kayak launches on Google earth
        *Plan a week long outing through Dorchester county.
        *Study marine charts for the places I fish so I can target points and drop-offs.
        *Study my Trout Support DVD's. They helped me target a 24"trout and several lower 20" Reds.

Comment

I want an honest-to-goodness heavy duty milk crate; two actually.

The one I have is not commercial grade. It's too light for the use I gave it last year and it cracked a bit.

Anyone know a good source?
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark, not exactly sure if mine is considered heavy duty but I literally walked into a 7/11 and asked them if they had any extra milk crates laying around I could have. Thats how I aquired mine. It is thick plastic, not in the newest of shape but for free, I wasnt complaining!.

scorpioreno, sounds like some good preparation. I want to try out some new spots. Its so easy for me to put my kayak in right where I live I ended up fishing the same spots last year. Im going to make an effort to load up the tundra and make a trip to conowingo dam and then a trip to catch some snakeheads.

Comment

Originally posted by dtandrade View Post
              Mark, not exactly sure if mine is considered heavy duty but I literally walked into a 7/11 and asked them if they had any extra milk crates laying around I could have. Thats how I aquired mine. It is thick plastic, not in the newest of shape but for free, I wasnt complaining!.
              Those are the REAL milk crates and they re the best!
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

dtandrade,

It's good to know that there are legal means to get those commercial crates stored behind the convenience stores.

Asking can't hurt.

Thanks for the hint.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Target sells a very nice heavy duty crate for about $9.00. It has solid side and bottom so stuff is not always getting hung up and tangled. It does have a few small holes on the bottom for drainage.

Comment

I finally made a run down to Bass Pro and Green Top yesterday to stock up on supplies. It's crazy how easy it is to part with your hard earned money and walk away with seemingly nothing. I purchase a lot of small fish tackle, e.g. small jig heads, trout and crappie baits, some poppers and rattle baits. I also picked up two ultra light rigs, two Pflueger President 6920X and ultra light Ugly Sticks. Also picked up a nice soft side cooler from Green Top, the large Dorsal Overbuilt Tuff-Tote and fish grabber tool. I guess I really shouldn't have been surprise to see a $200 bill at Green Top for tackle but it's funny when just about all of the items were $5 or less, man tackle adds up quick.
                    Live for today, and fish often...
                    2014 Pro Angler 14
                    St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      I want an honest-to-goodness heavy duty milk crate; two actually.

The one I have is not commercial grade. It's too light for the use I gave it last year and it cracked a bit.

Anyone know a good source?
                      I got mine at the Container Store

Comment

West marine sells real milk crates, they are blue and around $20.00 if you want to spend the money. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...hKeyword=crate

I stop by the 7-11 and ask them to sell me one or two. Last year I picked up 4 almost new ones for $5.00. The guy stuffed the money into his pocket and said thanks.
                        I usually cut my crate fronts down for easier access. the style in the west marine have the squares are on a 45 so cutting it down is simple ands leaves no sharp edges. I also raise it up off the rear tankwell so I have 2 levels of storage. kind of a combo of what Kayak Kevin uses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBGxYQwuIyI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hflTPU-2bA
                        Last edited by plastic boat; 02-11-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X