Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson Bridge and the DC Line

The current rule of thumb is...
    If you fish north of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge you need the $13 DC fishing license.

Simple enough. And cheap enough to keep one legal. .........but is it really necessary?

Technically speaking, the only part of the WW bridge that's in DC is the Virginia side of the channel. Most of the length of the bridge, north and south, is within Maryland.
    The DC border runs at a diagonal from Jones Point to Fox Ferry Point (off Oxon Hill Farm, MD)

WWB.jpgWWBsat.jpg

As you can see the DC line cuts right thru the channel at a diagonal. So maybe there is an unwritten agreement that the DC police won't hassle folks fishing in that tiny little corner south of the bridge as long as anyone north of the bridge is required to get a DC license.

Do you know of anyone who has ever gotten fined for fishing in Maryland waters north of the bridge without a DC license?
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

I was checked there last year for my DC license while kayak fishing....

Comment

I was checked by VA DNR but not DC at the Wilson. I spend the $13.00 just to avoid any hassles. I figure $13.00 is cheaper hen any fines DC would hit me with.
      Jim

Hobie Outback
      TKAA member
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Thanks for clarification. I already have my VA, need to get MD and should get DC to avoid a ticket. Got it!
        I am planning to make this 1and I am still working on 2 other yakkers from the Burg.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
          Thanks for clarification. I already have my VA, need to get MD and should get DC to avoid a ticket. Got it!
          I am planning to make this 1and I am still working on 2 other yakkers from the Burg.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
          If you have a VA or MD tidal license it is good in both states. DC wants there $$ for a seperate license.
          Jim

Hobie Outback
          TKAA member

Comment

I guess with them checking they figure you're not going to bother with fighting it in court.

If I thought they'd have a sense of humor, I'd bring my DC license and a map.
            I could show them the map and tell them I'm in MD... but if they were persistent I could pull out the license and say "Oh look, I did purchase a license this year."

Just don't think they would find it as funny.
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
              I guess with them checking they figure you're not going to bother with fighting it in court.

If I thought they'd have a sense of humor, I'd bring my DC license and a map.
              I could show them the map and tell them I'm in MD... but if they were persistent I could pull out the license and say "Oh look, I did purchase a license this year."

Just don't think they would find it as funny.

Don't try it. Unless I'm mistaken you also need a boater education certificate to operate any vessel including Kayaks in DC waters. I've never been checked but I keep a copy in my dry bag.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

This is all I could find on the DC safe boating web site.

In the District of Columbia, no one under the age of 18 may operate a vessel 16 feet in length or more unless they have completed an approved boating safety course, or are under the supervision of someone 18 years of age or older that has completed a boating safety course.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member

Comment

Working...
                X