Weight of Native Slayer Propel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight of Native Slayer Propel

Some of you know that I am a member of Pro Staff for Native Watercraft kayaks. I do not get paid for this work, but I do try to help the dealers and provide information about kayak fishing in general and about Native kayaks in particular. Many people have seen photos of my "road cone orange" Slayer Propel kayak that I got in mid-December. I get lots of compliments on the boat, but am frequently asked about how much it weighs. I look at the Native website and other literature they have given me and see a weight of 101 lbs. In some of the literature, it says that the removable seat and Propel pedal drive weigh an extra 19 lbs, for a total equipped weight of 120 lbs.

Many people think that is awfully heavy for a kayak, particularly if you need to lift it onto roof racks. When I lift up one end of the Slayer Propel it does not feel a whole lot heavier than my other kayak, a Native Manta Ray 14, which weighs 69 lbs. I wondered about that potential discrepancy and talked to some folks at the Native headquarters. Today they clarified the weight and acknowledged that the earlier literature had shown a misleading weight based on pre-production estimates.

The correct weight for the hull, seat, and Propel is 104 lbs. If you remove the seat and Propel, the hull itself weighs just 85 lbs -- not too much heavier than many paddle kayaks. I feel better knowing the correct weight information.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 02-15-2014, 09:43 AM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That sounds a lot closer to my mariner's weight as well. I nearly fell over when I saw the documented weight of the slayer. Still not something you can through over your sholder and walk down th trail with.
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
    X