Fresh water in the Bay due to snow melt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh water in the Bay due to snow melt

I am thinking the infux of melting snow next week due to four days in a row of upper 50s and low 60s will fill the Bay with high water from rivers and streams- we have had two years of excellant redfish and speckled trout fishing...wonder what the effects of a cold wet winter will be on the species we will see in the Bay this year? Fresh water is necessary for striper spawning so a full Bay with lower salinity levels could be a banner year for the big trophy fish in the early season- the Bay is a complex ecosystem and every variable has an efect-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-14-2014, 07:00 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Interesting that you would post this... only because I've been thinking about these things...

And well... it seems we like to "salt and brine" a SINGLE road more than 50,000 Norwegians at
    the Gravlax Festival....

It will be interesting to monitor the salinity check points after the snow melt... it sure seems we add
    more salt to the black top, than I ever remember.

There must be an adverse effect to the way salt the roads and the runoff.

AND... Not to add bummer to the mix. Virginia has been testing a new "Brine" ingredient.
    The purpose of the Brine ingredient is to make the pre Brine application stick to the road longer.

Hopefully... the new "Brine" ingredient won't make our fish taste like Turpintine.

Comment

What's more alarming is this:

http://www.ssentinel.com/index.php/n...le8Rk.facebook

I'm interested to see how this affects Speckled Trout stocks in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
        Interesting that you would post this... only because I've been thinking about these things...

And well... it seems we like to "salt and brine" a SINGLE road more than 50,000 Norwegians at
        the Gravlax Festival....

It will be interesting to monitor the salinity check points after the snow melt... it sure seems we add
        more salt to the black top, than I ever remember.

There must be an adverse effect to the way salt the roads and the runoff.

AND... Not to add bummer to the mix. Virginia has been testing a new "Brine" ingredient.
        The purpose of the Brine ingredient is to make the pre Brine application stick to the road longer.

Hopefully... the new "Brine" ingredient won't make our fish taste like Turpintine.
        I agree they must run salt trucks every 15mins over the bay bridge when we get snow. It makes me so mad when I see the piles of salt on the side of the road that the trucks leave as they wait for their next run.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap View Post

I sold all my shares at the end of last year. The market is way to up and down right now. If you are looking to invest I would look into Blue Cat stock.
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

With so many idiotic drivers in the DC area, the Governments must get rid of all the snow and ice down to the blacktop. The huge amount of salt that is used will harm all the fish and critters in the streams that are purely freshwater. As for the tidal fish, they won't be as affected.....in dry years, there will be salt there anyways.

The Chesapeake and Maryland is pretty much the northern most limit of the Speckled Sea Trouts range. This is because they can't handle the cold water. The kill off is not a big deal as far as Specs as a species is concerned. Its just going to impact the local population.....a very small number in relation to the total population..... in the near future.
            Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
            WS Ride 115 Mango
            WS Tarpon 100

Comment

feesh?

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
              I sold all my shares at the end of last year. The market is way to up and down right now. If you are looking to invest I would look into Blue Cat stock.
              I'm all in on pelagics; high bust potential but the payoff is rewarding.

Comment

I'm all in on pelagics; high bust potential but the payoff is rewarding.
                This.
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

The two biggest flows that pump into the bay are the Susky and the Potomac. When the weather warms they are going to pump vast amount of muddy water into the bay. They basically drain all of Pa, and Western Maryland. I'm a little concerned about Feb. and March M and G. I think the water is going to be a cold muddy mess for both.
                  Hurricane Skimmer 128
                  WS Pamlico 100

Comment

A few years ago we had massive melt off and high water in the bay- lots of sewage overflows- big trees floating down the bay...and we still had a decent year fishing...these extremes of weather are getting to be the normal weather- tornados, straight line thunderstorms, hot droughts out west- California is in real trouble...we should count our blessings- it could be a lot worse- and probably will be...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                      A few years ago we had massive melt off and high water in the bay- lots of sewage overflows- big trees floating down the bay...and we still had a decent year fishing...these extremes of weather are getting to be the normal weather- tornados, straight line thunderstorms, hot droughts out west- California is in real trouble...we should count our blessings- it could be a lot worse- and probably will be...
                      Very true, I was really only thinking about the very near term during snow melt. The melt down in the long term can be positive by basically "flushing the system" . Especially in the rivers.
                      Hurricane Skimmer 128
                      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Looks like VA shutdown recreational harvest, but left commercial open until quota is filled.
                        http://hamptonroads.com/2014/02/recr...t-out-virginia
                        Brian

Comment

Working...
                        X